No data in the Cost Analytics page

Krishna Kurkal

Aug 10, 2016, 4:58:39 PM8/10/16
to scalr-discuss
How come I do not see any data in the Cost Analytics page?  Is there any configuration steps that need to be taken?  The AWS user credentials used for the account does have the privilege to access the billing APIs.  Not sure what I'm missing.

Marc O'Brien

Aug 10, 2016, 5:06:42 PM8/10/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Krishna,

Is this a new install?  Do you have any running farms for which data should be displayed but is not?  If not, is data populated if you start a farm and let it run for some time?  If you are using Firefox, is there any difference in behavior if you test in Chrome?

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Krishna Kurkal

Aug 11, 2016, 10:18:04 AM8/11/16
to scalr-discuss
Yes, new install.  There were some farms running for a few days but most were terminated shortly after spin up.  Still, I should have seen some data and some of the fancy charting but there isn't any and everything shows a $0 amount.

I was wondering if there was any configuration item I might have missed.

Thanks,
Krishna

Marc O'Brien

Aug 11, 2016, 12:06:11 PM8/11/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Krishna,

For a simple single server install there should be no additional configuration required for basic Cost Analytics to function.  However, there are some differences in function between cloud providers.  Are these Azure farms that are not showing CA data?  If so, Azure farms may need to run for 3 or 4 days before data is provided.  For AWS farms data should be displayed much more quickly.  What cloud provider are you testing this with?

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Krishna Kurkal

Aug 16, 2016, 2:29:29 PM8/16/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Marc,

Sorry for the delayed response but no, these are pointing to the AWS cloud provider and I can see that I have the 'AWS Billing' IAM privileges allowed in IAM for the account owner under which it's setup.  I was wondering if there was something else, in ways of a configuration item that I might be missing to be able to see the data come through.

Thanks,
Krishna

Marc O'Brien

Aug 16, 2016, 2:41:30 PM8/16/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Krishna,

There should be no additional configuration needed for a simple single server deployment of Scalr for AWS Cost Analytics.  You should be able to see projected cost for individual Farm Roles in the Farm designer, and you should see cost data within Cost Analytics.  Additionally, you should see Pricing List data for AWS within the Cost Analytics page as shown in the attached screenshot.  If you are not seeing any of this data, there may be issues that are being logged.  You would want to start looking at the python-analytics_poller.log and python-analytics_processor.log within /opt/scalr-server/var/logs as a first step to see if there are any obvious errors present.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Marc O'Brien

Aug 16, 2016, 2:46:32 PM8/16/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Krishna,

Additionally, if you have not already done so please be sure that you have followed all the steps outlined in our Detailed Billing set up tutorial if you are using Detailed Billing.  Even if you might have detailed billing enabled in AWS already, you must follow the linked instructions to make sure the reports from AWS get generated in the correct format that Scalr requires.  Also, please note that the billing details will be processed with a 8-12 hours delay so it may take some time before you see the expected results.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Krishna Kurkal

Aug 16, 2016, 11:17:48 PM8/16/16
to scalr-discuss
Thanks Marc.  I'm using an IAM user and it looks like the billing API requires some additional permissions as mentioned in this blog: https://blogs.aws.amazon.com/security/post/Tx2255RUMJGC96Y/Don-t-Forget-to-Enable-Access-to-the-Billing-Console.

I haven't been able to make the change and try again but perhaps that's what's causing my issue.  I'll update this thread as soon as I get the account owner to enable access to the Billing Console.

Thanks,
Krishna

Krishna Kurkal

Aug 17, 2016, 5:43:35 PM8/17/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Marc,

I did make the change indicated in the link below and I can now see the billing info in the AWS console but Scalr still does not show any data.  I do see the pricing info just fine but no dollar amounts in the 'Cost Analytics' page.  Perhaps I need to send the data over to an S3 bucket and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Krishna

Marc O'Brien

Aug 18, 2016, 12:14:09 PM8/18/16
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Krishna,

Billing details will be processed with a 8-12 hours delay so it may take some time before you see the expected results.  This isn't a Scalr delay, but rather AWS posts updated billing information every 8 hours. As soon as it is posted, it becomes possible for us to process it and include in our reports.  Are you seeing any change to behavior now that some time has passed?

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Message has been deleted

Marc O'Brien

Aug 18, 2016, 1:43:40 PM8/18/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Krishna,

Regarding your comment of sending data to an S3 bucket, did you follow the steps from our Detailed Billing set up tutorial?  This tutorial walks you through the required steps to configure the billing bucket and provide Scalr access to this bucket.  Please be sure that you have followed that tutorial in it's entirety.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Krishna Kurkal

Aug 18, 2016, 5:55:17 PM8/18/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Marc,

No, I have not done that.  Perhaps, I do need to do that to start seeing the data in Scalr.  As of now, data has not percolated in.  I'll try that and update this thread.

Thanks,
Krishna