Scalr 5.11.22 Admin password

Jason Beard

Sep 1, 2016, 10:31:22 AM9/1/16
to scalr-discuss
Just to clarify, you can't change the admin password?

Marc O'Brien

Sep 1, 2016, 12:29:03 PM9/1/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Jason,

You may change the admin password from the Scalr scope Dashboard > Admins tab .  Select "admin" user and "Edit."  You will then be able to re-set the admin password, but will be required to provide the current admin password to complete the change.

Cheers,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Jason Beard

Sep 6, 2016, 2:51:55 PM9/6/16
to scalr-discuss
Nope. It won't let me. I created a new admin account and successfully changed the password to something I was going to use for the default admin. I see how its suppose to work.:( But as the default admin I changed it and the boxes are white, I click save and nothing.

Marc O'Brien

Sep 6, 2016, 2:59:46 PM9/6/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Jason,

I can confirm that in my test instance I was able to login as admin, reset the password fields, save>enter the previous password when prompted, successfully save, and then login as admin with the new password.  This successful admin password reset process is shown in the attached screenshots.  If you are unable to complete this process please ensure that you have no pop-up blocker or other browser add-ons that may be interfering with this process.  If issues persist you may want to test in Chrome / incognito mode.

Many thanks,

Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 12.54.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 12.54.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 12.55.12 PM.png

Jason Beard

Sep 7, 2016, 3:28:27 PM9/7/16
to scalr-discuss
For some reason when I click save the previous password prompt never shows up. I did it with another different global admin account and it worked perfectly. I even put chrome in incognito mode and made sure the site permissions were set for allow pop-ups.I start playing the browser war and see if works in something else. Thank you and I appreciate the response.

Marc O'Brien

Sep 7, 2016, 5:53:07 PM9/7/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Jason,

You might want to double check that the new password is meeting the minimum complexity requirements.  If it does not, this could create a situation where the Save button does not behave as expected.  There should have been a pop-up but this may have been missed if you copy/pasted in the new password or missed it for any reason.  If this is the case, the password box would be outlined in red and there would be a warning tool-tip on mouseover of the password field. Screenshot of requirements is attached here.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Jason Beard

Sep 8, 2016, 1:33:22 PM9/8/16
to scalr-discuss
It warns me if the password doesn't meet the criteria. Like you said, the box stays orange/red if it doesn't meet this.I created another global admin account with a different name and the process works fine.

Marc O'Brien

Sep 15, 2016, 12:59:23 PM9/15/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Jason,

It turns out that this is a limitation of Open Source Scalr that has been changed in the latest release of Enterprise Scalr.  This is why the reset is not working for your admin user as expected.  As a workaround for this, you can execute the following:

UPDATE account_users SET password='8c6976e5b5410415bde908bd4dee15dfb167a9c873fc4bb8a81f6f2ab448a918' WHERE email='admin';

This will reset the admin password to the specified SHA256 hash. In this case, the above hash represents a password of "admin".

Before executing this command, you will want to change the SHA256 password hash value to something unique and secure. Let us know if this does the trick for you.

Cheers,

Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Jason Beard

Oct 9, 2016, 5:14:17 PM10/9/16
to scalr-discuss
LOL. I gave up on this and moved on. I figured it was just me. I was in the thread looking for some information on the scalr-server.rb and saw this. Thanks I'll try it some point.