Is scalr ditching the OSS version? - may we as oss users start a fork?

Enrico Kern

Jun 5, 2017, 2:48:34 PM6/5/17
to scalr-discuss
Hi,

I would love to see a statement (as alot of other users) whats up with the OSS version. It lacks behind significant right now and looks more like Scalr made the descission to ditch the OSS version at all. Which leads me to thinking about starting a fork of scalr and patching in new features or bugfixes all along.

We as example are kind of utilizing a Hybrid Scalr usage. We have rather payment heavy cloud scalr.com account and in addition run a OSS scalr for our test and staging platforms, not having the OSS updates is kind of disturbing and Enterprise Edition alone is so price tag hefty that we wont utilize that for just keeping up testing environments.

Sebastian Stadil

Jun 6, 2017, 6:13:42 PM6/6/17
to scalr-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for dropping us a note. Sorry to hear that the paid versions are too expensive for you.

We've been focused on solving a new class of problems recently, the ones you run into in very fast growing organizations moving to the cloud. Problems such as driving standards (i.e. getting everyone to follow a common process), bridging existing infrastructure with new infra (i.e. managing your on-prem and off-prem from one place), controlling spend (which grows explosively when unchecked), and simply continuing to encourage cloud best practices (auto-scaling, resource reclamation, etc). All this means that we haven't had the time for a new community release. It's still in a good place right now however, and very much usable. Sorry we don't have an ETA for you just yet.

I love that you're interested in contributing to Scalr! Hit us up at jo...@scalr.com if you'd like to make it a full time job.

Cheers,
Sebastian

PS: you guys (Glispa) have a satellite office at 44 Tehama, same building as us. If you ever travel to visit, hit us up. :)