Agent in openstack provisioned instances

Diego Lima

Dec 15, 2016, 4:34:36 AM12/15/16
to scalr-discuss
Hello! I'm trying to provide new instances on an openstack installation and I get stuck on a waiting for boot status due to the agent not being present. I have successfully launched and managed instances on AWS so I have a few questions:

- Is scalr supposed to install the agent via user data on my openstack instances? I have created the image with "no" for "agent installed" and "yes" for "cloud-init installed"

- I see that a /etc/scalr gets created on boot by cloud-init (with a private directory inside it) even though the agent itself isn't installed. Can I run a user data script on instance creation even without the agent?

- How can I see debug logs for the instance creation?

My preference would be for the agent to be automatically installed on instance launch using cloud-init (as opposed to launching them and manually importing them later) as it happens on AWS. Is it my misunderstanding that it should work the same way as AWS regarding the agent installation?

Thank you!

Marc O'Brien

Dec 15, 2016, 11:44:44 AM12/15/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Diego,

For OpenStack, but sure that you have followed our Open Stack configuration requirements as well as the required networking documentation.  Additionally, please take a look at this thread from the other day. You will need to install the Scalr agent on your machine and then take a new snapshot and register that image as "Scalarized" within your Scalr UI.  Roles built from images that are "Agentless" will not have the ability to run Orchestration scripts or other agent-only functions as described in our Discovery Manager documentation.  It should be simple to install the Scalr Agent on your machine and take a new snapshot so that you have a new "Scalarized" copy of your build image.  Then you should be able to simply register the new image for use in Scalr.  Be sure to indicate that Scalarizr is installed on the image while you are importing the new image to Scalr.  This should allow the "Scalarized" build image to work as expected within your Scalr environment.  Scalr logs are available in our Log tabs in the UI.  Agent logs are available on the instance under /var/log/scalarizr*.  Other debug logs will be available on the instance itself or via your cloud provider.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support