Can't enable auto-snapshot

Bernard Lefebvre

Nov 28, 2016, 11:13:26 PM11/28/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi,

I have setup a new environment, added the EC2 credentials and tried to enable auto-snapshot for a volume, but it just won't enable the option.  I receive the message that the operation was successful and I do not receive any error message.  I can create a snapshot manually and I can access all parts of AWS.  I have also tried with another IAM user which has full access to everything, so I do not think it is a permission issue.

Any idea of what can cause this behaviour?

I am running 5.11.22 (Community Edition)

Thank you

Bernard

Marc O'Brien

Nov 30, 2016, 1:32:37 PM11/30/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Bernard,

Can you please provide additional details about this behavior.  When you attempt to enable Auto Snapshots and receive the success message, do you then see the green Check-mark next to Auto-Snaps to indicate that the setting is turned on?  If this does occur, are the snapshots not being created according to the configured schedule?  What is the behavior that you are seeing that is not allowing you to enable auto snapshots?

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Bernard Lefebvre

Dec 1, 2016, 8:05:01 PM12/1/16
to scalr-discuss

Hi Marc,

The green check-mark is not turned on and snapshots are not being created.  I have no idea why this is happening.  I looked at every log file to try to find a reason, but I I could not find an error related to this.  As explained, the IAM user I am using in Scalr have appropriate permissions, I can trigger a manual snapshot and it works, I can view snapshots, I can view volumes.  I have 4 other environments configured exactly the same and everything is working fine.  The only difference I could find is that this is the only volume hosted in region us-east1b, others in other environments are in different sub-region, like us-east1a or 1c.

I have also tried to create a volume from Scalr and enable auto-snapshot on it, but same behaviour and auto-snapshot stays disabled.

Here's some screen capture:

Bernard Lefebvre

Dec 5, 2016, 11:01:00 AM12/5/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Marc,

Any update on this issue?

This feature is really important for me.

Thank you

Marc O'Brien

Dec 5, 2016, 2:27:30 PM12/5/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Bernard,

I have not been able to replicate this behavior in my test environment.  To clarify, this is working fine in other Environments within your same Scalr installation?  You noted there is a difference in deployment region in those successful tests.  Is there any change to behavior if you replicate the same steps and region that are successful in your other environments?  If the problem persists, can you open the Chrome Developer Tools in your browser and verify if any errors thrown in the Console when you attempt to enable automatic snapshots?

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Bernard Lefebvre

Dec 5, 2016, 10:29:25 PM12/5/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Marc,

Yes, auto-snapshot feature is working fine in my other environments within the same Scalr installation.  I have tried to enable the auto-snapshot feature on my other environments on volumes where it was not enable before and everything is working just fine.  I'll check with the developer tool and post results.

Thank you for your help.

Bernard Lefebvre

Dec 6, 2016, 3:52:06 PM12/6/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Marc,

I have found the issue.  It is related to the new Ressource ID length now in used by default by Amazon.  I have disabled the new length, created a volume and I was able to activate the auto-snapshot feature.  I am sorry if this has been addressed already, but I have searched this forum and the web and couldn't find anything related to this issue.

Here is a copy of the EBSManager.log:

EBSManagerProcess@31116 - WARN - Cannot create snapshot for volume vol-0127033d34a18538. AWS Error. Request DescribeVolumes failed. Value (vol-0127033d34a18538) for parameter volumes is invalid. Expected: 'vol-...'.

Thank you

Marc O'Brien

Dec 6, 2016, 3:59:12 PM12/6/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Bernard,

Very glad to hear you have this issue isolated.  The longer format resource ID is supported in the current version of Enterprise Scalr and will be rolled in to the next release of Open Source Scalr at a later date.  Apologies for the confusion.  By the way, welcome to the Scalr Open Source community! We're excited to have you join us.  Please feel free to post any issues or questions you have moving forward and we will do our best to lend a hand here.

P.S. You had previously mentioned migration from Open Source to Hosted Scalr.  It turns out that migration from Open Source to Hosted is not possible.  If you do move to Hosted you would need to start with a new account from scratch.

Many thanks,
Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support

Bernard Lefebvre

Dec 27, 2016, 5:49:05 PM12/27/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Marc,

Now that Amazon has pushed the new longer Id format, would it be possible for Scalr to publish a small update in order to support them in the community version?  Right now, if I start a new instance, I would be unable to use the auto-snapshot feature, which is something I really depend on.

Thank you

Marc O'Brien

Dec 29, 2016, 11:30:59 AM12/29/16
to scalr-discuss
Hi Bernard,

We will be rolling this update to the Open Source version of Scalr in the future, but we do not currently have a public facing ETA for this.  If you need more information on Hosted or Enterprise Scalr which contain this update today, please reach out to our Sales team to open a dialogue in order to find the best fit for your needs. Otherwise, lookout for future updates to Open Source Scalr on the horizon.

Cheers,

Wm. Marc O'Brien
Scalr Technical Support