It's time

Tony Morris

Mar 8, 2017, 1:44:30 AM3/8/17
to sca...@googlegroups.com
This document is maintained at
https://github.com/scalaz/faq/blob/master/conduct.md

# Scalaz conduct FAQ

*Intended to be read in order, top to bottom*

----

* **Does Scalaz have a code of conduct?**

Yes. It was decided by several people during discussions in 2005/2006.
It was
never called that, but it is in effect, exactly that.

* **Where is the code of conduct written?**

It's not. It likely never will be.

* **But then it's not real?**

Show me a more real code of conduct.

* **The code of conduct that was imposed in October 2014 is more real,
because
it was written, right?**

This document was the outcome of a meeting held at the StrangeLoop 2014
conference. I know who was at that meeting. I know exactly what was
said. I
will not divulge the evidence for this matter of fact, due to risks to
safety
of individuals who are not me [if it were just me, I would not care
since I am
not intimidated by this tactic]. The objective of the meeting was, "how to
remove Tony Morris from the Scalaz project." The code of conduct that you
speak of was the result of that meeting. It was a hoax that was
immediately
recognised as such by many people. The specific details of this matter
of fact
came to be known soon after.

This politicking is a recurring agenda that had played out since 2006. It
wasn't a new thing, just a new tactic. StrangeLoop also being one of
the first
conferences to have a written code of conduct. Can't get any more full
of shit
than that.

* **But it was the benevolent dictator, the steward, of the Scalaz
project, so
it must be real, right?**

The Scalaz project does not have a benevolent dictator, or a dictator,
or a
steward, or any such nonsense, at all. Not ever, nor ever will. That one
individual appoints themselves as such, is just a boring consequence of
delusions of grandeur. One day you might meet someone claiming to be
Jesus.
Just nod and smile.

A fool once said a foolish thing on the internet. Treat it like you
normally
do.

* **But all his buddies believed it, so surely it has credibility!?**

A few people having private meetings, does not lend itself to credibility.
Small groups of people believe all sorts of bizarre things, and have
done for
centuries. That has nothing at all to do with the Scalaz project,
despite what
you might be told in misrepresentations.

* **OK, so what are some guiding principles of the Scalaz code of conduct?**

One is inclusivity. All people are welcome to contribute to the Scalaz
project, and others related.

* **Everyone?**

Yes, absolutely everyone.

* **Even Hitler himself?**

Yes. Well no, because he is dead. Otherwise, yes.

* **But look at how mean he is. Surely not extremely mean people!?**

There exist people in this world who hold, and act on, the most
disgusting,
vindictive, jealous, manipulative, abusive beliefs. They are not only
welcome
on the Scalaz project, but they have participated on the project, and
(mostly)
gone. That fact is a testament to the principle that all people are
welcome.
Absolutely everyone, even those who hold egregious beliefs, **and act on
them**, are welcome on the Scalaz project.

This is not only hypothetically true, but has actually occurred.

* **What about all the damage they did?**

It is true that the Scalaz project went bad around 2013. The code quality
dropped significantly, and the previously established methods to learn
from
mistakes, and improve on them were systematically undermined by a
political
organisation, later calling themselves Typelevel. The code soon reached a
point where it was practically unusable. Efforts to fork and continue with
focussing on code were met with constant harrassment by political
proponents
when that was displayed publicly. The progress occurred nonetheless.

Other approaches were taken publicly to resolving this problem. This
came at
a cost.

* **Wait, Scalaz was never under Typelevel?**

This is correct. Scalaz was never under an organisation called Typelevel.
Typelevel is a political organisation that demonstrates no interest in
code.
This political organisation excludes individuals, based on their
opinions, who
they are, or whether they subscribe to a manufactured "political
division".
For good or bad, this discrimination and politicking is in direct
opposition
to the principles of Scalaz.

You may have read that Scalaz is somehow related to Typelevel. This is
just a
symptom of a political tactic that is in no way related to the Scalaz
project.
You will likely see other deceptions in the future. This is not a new
tactic.
It has been occurring for many years. You may not have noticed. If
that is the
case, please continue not noticing. It's to your benefit.

Importantly, these political shenanigans and exclusive "bubble thinking"
invariably and eventually lead to shit code. Have a look at the
Typelevel code
for yourself.

* **But it was written on the internet that Scalaz was under Typelevel?**

People write all sorts of nonsense on the internet. You don't need me
to tell
you that. Somewhere you will find a story about how a pineapple flew from
outer space and landed on someone's head. This story is no different
in its
credibility, to the one that Scalaz is somehow related to Typelevel.

Ignore it, make a comedy show of it, whatever. There is no obligation to
correct it, or take it seriously.

* **So nobody ever agreed that Scalaz was related to Typelevel?**

This is correct. There exist private meetings held by politicians
[programmers?] with an objective to manipulate public belief. There is no
other discussion about this. Under Scalaz proper, this nonsense has been
swiftly rejected, simply on the basis of the ultimate consequence;
degradation
in quality of code.

* **Why didn't you correct it?**

If I correct all the nonsense things on the internet, or even just for the
purpose of Scalaz, I'd have to become a politican myself. If there is
anything
useful to have learned from these politicking people, it is exactly
the human
that I never want to be. Correcting nonsense is not an obligation from me,
you, or anyone.

Besides, it's fun to watch from the sideline.

* **Isn't Typelevel (or similar) just a fork of Scalaz?**

No. One jealous and vindictive individual has been trying this political
bullshit since 2006. Typelevel is just the next chapter in the political
motivations of this individual. If you fell for it, then I am sorry to
hear
it. That doesn't change the matters of fact though.

* **If all people are welcome on Scalaz, then how will you prevent the
destruction of code and personal relationships that was caused in
2013-2014?**

By a software solution that is currently implemented as prototype.
Bullying in
Scala has been present since the beginning of Scalaz (2005), and is
likely to
always be that way. Scalaz survived 2005-2013 by presenting a
scapegoat to the
vicious motives of a small number of individuals who unrelentingly pursued
notoriety by constant abuse and harrassment. It was an effective
strategy, and
ultimately, Scalaz existed despite Scala, not because of it. Be proud
of that.

A software solution provides a means for the project to continue on its
foundational principles (which are not to be compromised on), while
preventing
the destruction to code, and people, that we have witnessed. Not any
different
to a type system in a programming language, preventing bad code from
existing,
so too, can gross political ideas be prevented from achieving the eventual
practical penalty.

* **But the Typelevel code looks the same as Scalaz?**

Yes. The same people who wrote really shitty code into the Scalaz
codebase,
also copy/pasted it over to another codebase. None of it represents
Scalaz.
It's either a comedy show, or a giant defect, depending on your future
outlook.

There currently does not exist a useful, general purpose library for
Scala. If
you care about Scala, change that.

* **So if it is a defect, why hasn't it been fixed?**

There is a strong correlation between "possessing the necessary
aptitude and
historical understanding to recognise that all of this was a hoax by a
political organisation, using the time-proven method of scapegoating" and
"possessing the necessary aptitude and historical understanding to
recognise
that writing Scala is itself an unproductive waste of time." Skilled
programmers, who have been down the hole and truly investigated the
merits of
Scala, have generally emerged with the same conclusion: it's a waste
of time.
This is not universally true of course, but is the general sentiment.
It's why
nobody bothers "fixing it", because the thing to fix, is not that thing.

Additionally, a significant factor to the destruction to the code of the
Scalaz project was the imposition of bad processes for progress.
Fixing a bug
requires as much hoop-jumping than the consequences of the bug itself.
It is
impractical to fix the existing code, due to the amount of required effort
versus small return. This was not always true. Today it is true.

* **What about the demands and threats? They scare me.**

They are all bullshit. A complete load of nonsense with no coincidence to
reality. The product of delusions of grandeur, by one individual,
having zero
relationship to the Scalaz project in any way at all. Be assured, you can
dismiss them, one by one. Let's spend not-zero effort doing so.

> behaviour in the #scalaz channel is unacceptable.

Yes it is. It's totally fucking acceptable.

Abusive people don't get to dictate the terms under which those abused
must
respond to that. We've had centuries of that. Time is up. If there is
any one
single point in this document to emphasise, it is that single one. It is
beneficial to dedicate a considerable effort coming to understanding it.

> In particular, as steward of scalaz, I will not accept any insults to
community members.

There is no steward of Scalaz. This proposition is both hilarious and
tragic.

Also, insults are not only acceptable, but necessary to any productive
software team. One individual feels it necessary to impose on others
to "not
insult community members." This grand claim is simply technically
incorrect.

Importantly, it was explicitly decided that Scalaz be this way,
accepting of
insults, in the first few weeks of its creation, and to its benefit.
Insults
very definitely are accepted. Anyone who tells you otherwise, needs a
tissue.

The impositions you see here are powerless, and false, despite the
grandstanding. There is no obligation to correct it.

"pfft I am insulted by boy bands" -- Steve Hughes

> At all. Under no circumstances.

A narcissist stomping their foot, punctuating with an excess
distribution of
full stops, is silent.

> I will not accept discussion about that matter.

This is fair. All people are welcome to be wrong, and remain so, at
their own
insistence. Sometimes it's fun.

> You have clearly expressed your opinion about the code of conduct in the
channel, which is why I banned you from there permanently.

This premise is factually false. It never occurred.

> I can do that because I have talked to cofounders of the channel and
after
agreement, they transferred sole ownership to me.

"My buddies agree with me in our private meetings" does not lend
credibility.
The actual (*actual*) contributors to the Scalaz project knew exactly
what was
going on immediately. We didn't even have to have a secret meeting.
Knowledgeable people knew, on their own independent thoughts. Amazing
that.

Also, there were no "cofounders of the channel." There was one founder
of the
channel.

Let's leave the history lesson there. Just know that it's all bullshit.

> You have the choice to voluntarily pass over the ownership of the
list to me
and generally cease talking about scalaz in public.

This is bullshit. Anyone can say anything they want about Scalaz. This
includes false things, even outrageous and ridiculous things. It is a
long-time tradition in fact. Talking about and observing nonsense
about Scalaz
is often a welcome relief. Indeed these "demands" are just one
instance in a
sea of comedy. Treat it like the hilarious load of bullshit that it
is; don't
let it frighten you.

If anyone ever tells you that "you are not allowed to say something about
Scalaz", you can immediately know that they are full of shit. Dismiss the
claim swiftly and outright. You can even start saying you own it, or
steward
it, or benevolently dictate it, or whatever ridiculous thing you might
come up
with, and as we have actually seen in practice. You definitely can do
these
things. I won't even correct you.

Further, if you have been threatened by an individual like this, then
there
are effective methods for dealing with it. Ask around for advice on how to
deal with it. In short, there are no "ultimatums" pertaining to
Scalaz, or any
of these (very typical) abusive tactics that you might encounter. They are
simply false.

Importantly, this tactic has no power and it is important that you are not
frightened by it. If you need help with this, ask around. Help exists. It
truly does.

> Judging by your tweets, you seem to have already made peace with
that idea
in general. If not, be assured that I have a fallback option.

This idea of, "do as I say, and if you don't, I have a thing for you,
but I am
not telling you what it is" is a standard bullying tactic that can be
easily
disempowered. Ask around. This lording threat has absolutely no power
at all.
There exist experts who have dedicated their lives to dealing with
things like
this. You can be referred to them if you have been on the receiving end of
this type of abuse and need help. Ask around. There are people who
will help
you or point you in the direction of help.

> I'm taking no answer in 24 hours as "please officially kick me out
with a
public statement".

Again, there exist people who are genuinely frightened by the threats
of this
type. Be assured, this threat has no power at all. There is an entire
support
network of people to deal with it, including people who have specific
training
and have dedicated themselves full-time to dealing with it. Don't let
abusive people like this control your thoughts or actions. This is
important.

> the good you do for the community is far outweighed by the bad you do.

Says the individual who single-handedly degraded the code quality of
Scalaz to
"totally fucking unusable", played politics in an otherwise apolitical
code
project, thereby wrecking the personal relationships among the quality
contributors to the project.

Ya gotta have a laugh. The incompetence. The awe. I need Tim-Tams.

* **So what now then?**

Simple. Write code, prevent destruction to that code by the usual means
(e.g. type system) and also prevent destruction by political means (a new
challenge).

However, accept that there will never be another Scala project with the
productivity, skill diversity and inclusive acceptance of Scalaz
2006-2013.
For detailed reasons, it will simply never occur again. Scalaz, the
project,
continues on, using the appropriate tool to solve a given software
problem.
The set of problems for which Scala is an appropriate solution, having a
cardinality of zero.

On the surface, this appears to be a great loss. It would be, if Scala
itself
had anything at all going for it. Many people have recognised and come to
terms with the fact that Scala has no practical application, or any
chance for
future improvement. There is no significant loss. Scalaz does not rely on
Scala.

* **Has all the abuse stopped then?**

No. The self-appointed dictatorship has recently taken upon itself to
construct imaginary provocations, then present these to the employers of
opponents. If you feel threatened by this, there exist methods of
disempowerment of this tactic. Others have taken to making a game of
it, for
comedic relief.

*Seek help if this occurs to you.* There exists help for dealing with this
form of ongoing abuse.

A recent appointment as Grand Emperor of Scala (or whatever it is,
something
like that) may satiate the thirst for lording over others that compels
this
abuse, but other forms of relief are available if this one does not
succeed.

* **What other principles apply to Scalaz?**

Assume good faith, but taken very seriously. This was also discussed
early in
the project. It's why heated and productive arguments could occur in the
project, leading to the excellent result up to 2013.

There is no compromise on executing this idea. All other principles
rest on
this one. As a thought exiercise, this is how you might come to know that
"steward of Scalaz" and much other nonsense never, ever existed. Try it.

signature.asc

Tony Morris

Mar 12, 2017, 6:50:37 PM3/12/17
to sca...@googlegroups.com
I did some thinking, and discussion with others. I admit, I have not
been respectful of those who have remained committed (where I haven't)
to the principles of the Scalaz project since 2014.

I am going to change that.
signature.asc