Odersky Online FP/scala course

Arnold deVos

Nov 19, 2012, 4:49:20 PM11/19/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I am looking at Martin Odersky's Scala Exchange keynote  http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/scala/keynote-martin-odersky/ac-5896 and I see that 132 people in Australia did his online FP/scala course.  Surely a few of these would be in the room at the next meetup.  Perhaps we can have some general discussion about the course and about learning scala.   - Arnold

Petro Semeniuk

Nov 20, 2012, 5:22:06 PM11/20/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hey Arnold, from where did you get number of people who done this course in Australia? It'd be interesting to see number of people who are doing scala in other parts of the world as well.

Cheers
Petro

Arnold deVos

Nov 20, 2012, 6:28:20 PM11/20/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
M.O. talks about the course near the beginning of the video.   He shows a map of the world and, just after that, a histogram.

If you zoom in on the histogram (CSI style) you can read the numbers!

Actually, CSI style would be to enhance the reflection in Martin's eyeball to reveal the chart.....

Daniel Schobel

Nov 21, 2012, 9:16:28 PM11/21/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Did you have specific questions about the course or did you want to do a group chat thing at the next meetup? If it's the former, I'm happy to answer since I took the course and completed all of the assignments. My short-form review: it was absolutely phenomenal.

Eric Willigers

Nov 21, 2012, 9:35:53 PM11/21/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com

I did the assignments, didn't  watch most of the lectures.   If someone had a favourite or too difficult assignment, we could pre-prepare a variation on the question and implement a solution live.

Daniel Schobel

Nov 25, 2012, 2:21:50 AM11/25/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I like this idea. The course had particularly elegant solutions to the n-queens and water pouring problems. Any other classic problems we could tackle? Combinatorial search problems (like the two mentioned) are nice because they're awesome for show-casing pattern matching and for-comprehensions. Even doing something like an A* based solution to those problems (the course showed brute force) would be fun.

Arnold deVos

Nov 25, 2012, 3:02:35 AM11/25/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
The latter. I thought it might interest both beginners and experienced scala people. - Arnold

Arnold deVos

Nov 25, 2012, 3:05:21 AM11/25/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
It would be great to see a worked solution developed (semi) live.

Jed Wesley-Smith

Nov 27, 2012, 7:34:49 PM11/27/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone want to own this? I didn't do the course, although I helped mentor a few solutions…

I'm ready to announce episode 10 on 12/12 but only have Arnold's talk for the moment.

Eric Willigers

Nov 29, 2012, 5:48:03 PM11/29/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
I can own it.

Jed Wesley-Smith

Nov 29, 2012, 6:24:20 PM11/29/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
sweet! I'll put it in then!

Do you want to describe it too? Name and 1 line description.

cheers,
jed.

On 30 November 2012 09:48, Eric Willigers <ewill...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can own it.