Feedback from my talk

James Roper

Nov 15, 2012, 7:35:55 AM11/15/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
For anyone that wants it, here is the blog post that went with my talk:

Also, I'm really interested in hearing how hard/easy it was to follow it.  If you weren't able to follow it (which I suspect many wouldn't be able to), at what point did I lose you?  What did I need to explain more?  Was there anything that I went over too fast?  Feel free to be as brutal as you like in your feedback :)

Graham Lea

Nov 15, 2012, 9:35:27 PM11/15/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

I thought the talk was really good, though I have to admit I got lost once Enumeratees were introduced. I thought I understood the role of the Stream and the Iteratee, but I never quite got the point of the Enumeratee. Perhaps a sequence diagram would have helped me. But the code was good and I think the example was the right size - interesting but not overwhelming.

Cheers,

Graham.

etorreborre

Nov 16, 2012, 6:28:07 AM11/16/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
The progression was good enough for me.

2 suggestions:

 - delay the introduction of Futures in the API until the very end? This simplifies the presentation of the API, then you can introduce Futures to make the whole thing more "reactive"
 - add a few diagrams, as Graham is suggestion to help visualize and support the intuition

Otherwise, I really liked your csv example as it is something that lots of people had to do in some form or another.

Cheers,

Eric.

Arnold deVos

Nov 19, 2012, 4:58:23 PM11/19/12
to scal...@googlegroups.com
Hi James, as I said I liked your talk. You have a good delivery and good material. I agree with Graham that Enumeratees came up a bit suddenly.  If you give it again maybe take more time to summarize the menagerie of types and their different roles as they are introduced (?)  - Arnold