Continue work on MongoDB support for Slick(GSOC)

adam kozuch

Mar 4, 2015, 10:56:59 AM3/4/15
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

My name is Adam Kożuch and I'm student at University of Gdansk, Poland. Currently I'm on first year of master degree.. I aspire ta take part in Google Summer of Code 2015.
I'm familiar with coursera Functional Programming Principles with Scala and I planning take Principles of Reactive Programming course which ends right after coding period starts. I did some small projects in mongo.  I'm interested in implementing support for nesting objects in Slick during GSOC. It would be grate if you could give me some pointers for instance code which I should read or some research papers.
Thank you for help,
Adam

adam kozuch

Mar 4, 2015, 3:20:38 PM3/4/15
to scala...@googlegroups.com
I found GSOC code from previous year.[1] Should I start from reading that one?

Christopher Vogt

Mar 5, 2015, 10:28:44 AM3/5/15
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, you need to submit a project proposal through googles melange
system. You can refer to our project description. Describe your
background as well, links to github project or else, that give us an
impression so we can decide if you are up to the task, etc. Google
system and description are all a bit strange, but at them. But we will
review whatever you submit, not google. Make sure it tell us what you
think we should know about you.

Follow the guidelines at and linked from:
http://www.scala-lang.org/gsoc/2015.html

Regarding the code, yes

https://github.com/dvinokurov/slick/tree/tmp/mongodb

contains the changes he made to Slick. And

https://github.com/dvinokurov/slick-examples/tree/tmp/mongodb

contains code using them (as in tests... sortof). Slick evolved a lot in
how sessions are handled, so that part would need to be overhauled. The
type system part of Slick, that would need the main focus, didn't change
that much.

Chris

On 04.03.15 15:20, adam kozuch wrote:
> I found GSOC code from previous year.[1]
> <https://github.com/dvinokurov/slick/tree/tmp/mongodb> Should I start
> --
>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scalaquery/61c3f78d-531f-4b09-958a-c466e7cc2be1%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scalaquery/61c3f78d-531f-4b09-958a-c466e7cc2be1%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

adam kozuch

Mar 5, 2015, 1:41:37 PM3/5/15
to scala...@googlegroups.com
In description there is emphasized that project demand major changes in Slick. Maybe you can specify which parts of the Slick should be changed? Do you think that for now the good is to improve code from the last GSOC. I already rebased that branch with master and made small changes in packages[1]

W dniu środa, 4 marca 2015 16:56:59 UTC+1 użytkownik adam kozuch napisał:
Message has been deleted

adam kozuch

Mar 21, 2015, 7:08:46 AM3/21/15
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I just try to figure out how mapping form document-oriented database would look like. I did something like this. Document in this case is a extension of abstract class Table. What do you think about this?
Tutaj wprowadź kod...

//class Document is extension of Table
class doc extends Document[Int,Document,String*](tag,nameOfCollection)
{
     //this is already implemented
     def id:Rep[] = collumn[Int]("id");

     //nested document not implemented yet
     def name:Rep[Document] = new Document[String,String](id_of_document)
         {
             def first:Rep[String] = collumn[String]("id");
             def last:Rep[String] = collumn[String]("id")
         }

     //how to handle tables
     def contribs(*):Rep[String*] = collumn[String*]("contribs"); //star mean that this is an array

     def * =(id,(first,last),contribs*)
}