is Slick project dead?

Leandro Komosinski

Dec 2, 2016, 12:28:59 PM12/2/16
to Slick / ScalaQuery
  Hi all,

Does someone know what's happening with Slick project? If we look at home page (http://slick.lightbend.com/), the last news (http://slick.lightbend.com/news/2016/07/04/slick-3.2.0-M1-released.html) about Slick-3.2.0 was posted on July 04 2016.

  I teach web development (undergraduate level) using Play-Scala and I'm not sure  if I can still use Slick.

   Thanks,

Leandro, a big Slick fan.

Mark Lewis

Dec 3, 2016, 10:33:34 AM12/3/16
to Slick / ScalaQuery
I want to second this question. I am in the same position. I've used Slick for my course the last three years, but I'm becoming worried that I should switch to something else.

Daniel Li

Dec 4, 2016, 3:25:58 AM12/4/16
to scala...@googlegroups.com
+1

--

---

Vít Šesták

Dec 4, 2016, 7:05:03 AM12/4/16
to Slick / ScalaQuery
I don't think it is so much in the past. But when you are in doubt, ask Github: https://github.com/slick/slick/commits/master?after=Tc13r%2F3qw2RY%2FUvopBWgnoSywaUrMzQ%3D

There seems to be some activity.

Regards,
Vít Šesták 'v6ak'

Julien L.

Dec 4, 2016, 5:38:12 PM12/4/16
to Slick / ScalaQuery
Slick was mainly supported by one person: Stefan Zeiger from Lightbend. And according to the Slick contribution graph, I'm not sure if Slick is still in active development.

An official communication about the future of Slick (incoming features/optimizations?) would be welcome.

Matthew Pocock

Dec 4, 2016, 7:08:33 PM12/4/16
to scala...@googlegroups.com
I'd also like to know. It would seem odd for lightbend to have a flagship API developed by just one person. I've found slick to be very useful.

--

---

Dr Matthew Pocock
Turing ate my hamster LTD

Integrative Bioinformatics Group, School of Computing Science, Newcastle University

skype: matthew.pocock
tel: (0191) 2566550

Christopher Vogt

Dec 5, 2016, 2:33:21 PM12/5/16
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leo,

no worries, Slick is quite alive :). External contributions have been
more than ever. We didn't do any drastic changes this year like the DBIO
Action Monad in Slick 3. There are various smaller new features and
bugfixes though that Stefan, Sue, Richard, tminglei, Ashutosh, Trevor, I
and a bunch of other people have worked on. Stefan was involved in the
Scala 2.12 release recently, but since that is out I expect we'll see a
new release of Slick soon. The activity on pull requests and tickets
gives away the details.

Cheers,

Chris
> --
>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scalaquery/ef69ab02-1e97-4599-b050-dce9eead180d%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scalaquery/ef69ab02-1e97-4599-b050-dce9eead180d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Christopher Vogt

Dec 5, 2016, 2:40:59 PM12/5/16
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julien,

Slick is under active development. It's been a bit more quiet than when
we did the heavy lifting with query compiler, code generator, DBIO
action monad, etc. but that is nothing to worry about. Slick is changing
less drastically these days because in many areas we reached what we
wanted. Nowadays we are improving these areas with fixes and more
detailed features and we have opened up our development model from
mostly 2 guys doing all the work to having more maintainers and outside
contributors. So more people shoulder the work, some act mostly as
maintainers.

Also, don't take the github activity statistics too literally. Big
spikes are often caused by repository restructuring (moving directories,
renaming files, splitting files, changing package names, etc.) and not
representative of actual logic changes.

Chris

On 04/12/16 17:38, Julien L. wrote:
> Slick was mainly supported by one person: Stefan Zeiger from Lightbend.
> And according to the Slick contribution graph
> <https://github.com/slick/slick/graphs/contributors>, I'm not sure if
> Slick is still in active development.
>
> <https://i.imgur.com/pdejjUO.png>
>

> An official communication about the future of Slick (incoming
> features/optimizations?) would be welcome.
>

> On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 1:05:03 PM UTC+1, Vít Šesták wrote:
>
> I don't think it is so much in the past. But when you are in doubt,
> ask Github:
> https://github.com/slick/slick/commits/master?after=Tc13r%2F3qw2RY%2FUvopBWgnoSywaUrMzQ%3D
> <https://github.com/slick/slick/commits/master?after=Tc13r%2F3qw2RY%2FUvopBWgnoSywaUrMzQ%3D>
>

> There seems to be some activity.
>
> Regards,
> Vít Šesták 'v6ak'
>
> --
>
> ---
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scalaquery/73863c51-2e15-406e-a341-262898ae86f9%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scalaquery/73863c51-2e15-406e-a341-262898ae86f9%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Leandro Komosinski

Dec 5, 2016, 3:44:57 PM12/5/16
to Slick / ScalaQuery
Hi Cris,

 Good to hear that!

 Thank you and good luck to Slick team!

Leandro

Andrew Gaydenko

Dec 6, 2016, 5:04:11 PM12/6/16
to Slick / ScalaQuery
To my feeling, there is another reason of any loud hype absence around Slick. The last one is complete and very stable - at least at my use cases. As a result, reasons to fix and/or extend are much more seldom than in many other projects.

Alexej Haak

Jan 27, 2017, 5:39:23 PM1/27/17
to Slick / ScalaQuery
Agree, slick is in a very good state atm, still looking forward to the "real" 3.2 release

Larry Simon

Jan 28, 2017, 3:37:21 PM1/28/17
to Slick / ScalaQuery
+1 There are several improvements in 3.2 that we need for a system that is going into production in April.  Unless 3.2 goes final before then we'll have to put in a bunch of hacks and go live with 3.1.

Andrew Gaydenko

Jan 28, 2017, 4:35:35 PM1/28/17
to Slick / ScalaQuery
Also, in spite of very stable state in a common, there are few long standing bugs (1274 and related) fixes for which expected to be released an age ago :)