Slick confused about numThreads and best practice for good performannce

Ignacio Hernandez

May 28, 2016, 1:22:12 AM5/28/16
to Slick / ScalaQuery
I am using the PlayFrameWork with slick and using it in a system that is all I/O database heavy. In my application.Conf file I have this setting

play {
akka {
akka.loggers = ["akka.event.slf4j.Slf4jLogger"]
loglevel = WARNING
actor {
default-dispatcher = {
fork-join-executor {
parallelism-factor = 20.0

}
}
}
}
}

This obviously gives me 20 threads per core for the play application and as I understand it Slick creates it's own threadpool, is the NumThreads field in Slick mean that that's the total number of threads or is it (NumThreads x CPU's) ? and is there any best practice for best performance ? I currently have my settings configured as

database {
dataSourceClass = "org.postgresql.ds.PGSimpleDataSource"
properties = {
databaseName = "dbname"
user = "postgres"
password = "password"