Packt Video tutorials on Play Framework

Christian Papauschek

Aug 1, 2014, 5:22:24 PM8/1/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Scala folks,

someone from Packt publishing approached me to do video tutorials on Play Framework, and I wanted to ask you guys for advice.

* Did you also get an offer from them? (I suspect that they found me through the user group?)
* Did any of you already do something like this (they sell 2 hour videos on specific programming topics for about 30-40 USD)?
* What do you think we should expect to be paid as royalities?

Obviously its a lot of work to do a decent video tutorial and I wanted to check with you guys and get some input what you think of Packt.

Cheers and greetings from the lovely city of San Francisco,

Chris

Manuel Bernhardt

Aug 1, 2014, 7:04:39 PM8/1/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I constantly get contacted by Packt, and I would not recommend to work for them - in my opinion, they're not a really good publisher, more like a thin layer before print that tries to rip you off.

I think you should not expect more than 10% royaities (which is a lot in the publishing business). Don't do this kind of thing for the money - if you do it, it's more out of passion, to learn new things, or to get more known.

I recently signed with Manning for a reactive Play book, and I know I'm not going to make much money, but I do it for other reasons (learning more about the whole reactive thing mainly).

Hope this helps,

Manuel

Dominik Dorn

Aug 2, 2014, 12:27:21 PM8/2/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Packt once wanted me to write a book about ActiveMQ.. the only thing I
did with ActiveMQ was creating a river (kind of a plugin)... but see
for yourself

<quote>
Let me give you a better idea about the book. The book Apache ActiveMQ
Messaging Application Development will be having a page count of 50
with a writing time-line of 3-4 weeks for the first draft.The idea of
this book is to: learn how to develop a basic ActiveMQ solution and
configure ActiveMQ. We will do so with the JMS (Java Messaging
Service)

The typical content would be:

Introduction to ActiveMQ
Quick Start Integration Example (with already made application.. Hello
World but funnier!)
From the ground Up (Building an application’s Work Queues,)
Getting the Word out (Sending messages to several people at once)
I’ll have the one on the right (Selecting what messages to receive).

As for the royalty, Packt offers an industry leading royalty of 16%
and pays an advance of 300$ against it which is paid at the time of
publishing.
</quote>

so.. it might be similar for the videos... but you might want consider
publishing elsewhere ... e.g. Codeship - an austrian startup - is
cooperating with Treehouse right now.

cheers,
Dominik
--
Dominik Dorn
http://dominikdorn.com | http://twitter.com/domdorn

Christian Papauschek

Aug 2, 2014, 5:20:11 PM8/2/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you guys for your replies, they were very helpful!

@Manuel:
Yeah, of course my main motivation would be to do it for the fun of it, and as a contribution to the scala community, rather than the money. But of course no one wants to get screwed over. Looking forward to your Play book! ;)

Really appreciate your inputs,
Guess I'm gonna wait and look for other opportunities

Cheers,
Chris