Reactive Play

Manuel Bernhardt

Jan 27, 2015, 4:59:11 PM1/27/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'm happy to announce the early access release of my book, Reactive Web Applications with Play.

The book aims at being a guide for writing performant applications with Play, navigating around some of the pitfalls that come with the evented server model. It also gives an introduction to some of the fundamental aspects of functional programming that turn out to be quite useful when writing asynchronous programs, and introduces some useful tools available for this purpose in Scala (Futures, Actors, Reactive Streams). Lastly, it also addresses a few useful topics such as where and how to keep state, how to deploy and operate a Play application, and how to test it (performance-wise).

More background on the book can be found on my blog.

Last but not least, there is a 50% discount with the code mlbernhardt.

Cheers!

Manuel

Sebastian Nozzi

Jan 27, 2015, 6:48:52 PM1/27/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, congratulations!

Christian Papauschek

Jan 28, 2015, 10:53:46 AM1/28/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear about your Play book.

Since I haven't written a book myself, you get my full enthusiasm! (no previous author "war stories" to curb my emotions :D)

Do you still need reviewers?

Cheers,
Chris

Manuel Bernhardt

Jan 28, 2015, 1:39:32 PM1/28/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Thanks! It takes a lot of effort indeed to write the book, any feedback is appreciated! I don't know whether or not there are enough reviewers (need to ask my development editor) but I'm going to go for "yes" and "thank you very much for your help". Any help with promoting the book in general would be highly appreciated on my end as well, so if y'all could share the book and code with colleagues, acquaintances etc. that would be awesome!

Thanks!

Manuel