Scala Days Slides

Ryan LeCompte

Jun 13, 2013, 12:54:46 AM6/13/13
to scala-user
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the proper place to post links to slides, but I've uploaded the slides for my Scala Days talk here in case you're interested:

Hopefully the videos will be uploaded over the next few weeks too.

Cheers!

Ryan

Vlad Patryshev

Jun 13, 2013, 1:13:17 AM6/13/13
to Ryan LeCompte, scala-user
Very nice stuff; thanks a lot!!!

-Vlad

Alexandru Nedelcu

Jun 13, 2013, 3:38:30 AM6/13/13
to Vlad Patryshev, Ryan LeCompte, scala-user
Nice.
--
Alexandru Nedelcu
https://bionicspirit.com

Fernando Racca

Jun 13, 2013, 11:29:13 AM6/13/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com, Vlad Patryshev, Ryan LeCompte
cool, thanks!

andy

Jun 13, 2013, 3:05:07 PM6/13/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Some more slides that have been mentioned on twitter

Practical type mining in Scala ( Rose Toomey )
http://www.slideshare.net/prasinous/scaladays-2013-final

Real world akka recepies (Jamie Allen, Björn Antonsson and Patrik Nordwall)
http://www.slideshare.net/shinolajla/real-world-akka-recepies-v3

Scala IDE 3.0 - Present & Future ( Mirco Dotta )
http://www.slideshare.net/mircodotta/scala-ide-v3-present-future

Effective sbt ( Josh Suereth )
http://jsuereth.com/scala/2013/06/11/effective-sbt.html

Going Reactive: Event-Driven, Scalable & Resilient Systems ( Jonas Bonér )
http://www.slideshare.net/jboner/going-reactive-eventdriven-scalable-resilient-systems

Scala Pickling (Heather Miller)
http://lampwww.epfl.ch/~hmiller/pickling/index.html

Half a Year in Macro Paradise (Eugene Burmako)
http://scalamacros.org/paperstalks/2013-06-12-HalfYearInMacroParadise.pdf

Confessions of a Ruby Developer Whose Heart was Stolen by Scala ( Ryan LeCompte )
https://speakerdeck.com/ryanlecompte/confessions-of-a-ruby-developer-whose-heart-was-stolen-by-scala

√iktor Ҡlang

Jun 13, 2013, 3:23:54 PM6/13/13
to andy, scala-user
Here's a link to Roland's and my session slides: Concurrency: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
I recommend to watch the talk when made available though, as it adds more details.

Cheers,

Viktor Klang
Director of Engineering

Twitter: @viktorklang

Torsten Uhlmann

Jun 13, 2013, 3:32:29 PM6/13/13
to andy, scala...@googlegroups.com
I may add:

Lift 3 features, example app and slides: https://github.com/tuhlmann/lift-3-demo

Torsten.

Seth Tisue

Jun 13, 2013, 7:46:54 PM6/13/13
to scala-user
The slides for my talk on “Lenses: Fields as Values” are here:

Heather Miller

Jun 15, 2013, 12:04:04 PM6/15/13
to scala-user
The slides for my talk "On Pickles & Spores: Improving Scala's Support for Distributed Programming" are also now up :)

Rex Kerr

Jun 16, 2013, 3:57:32 PM6/16/13
to scala-user
My slides on "Designing for Performance" are also up:

http://speakerdeck.com/ichoran/designing-for-performance-scala-days-2013

  --Rex

Seth Tisue

Jun 16, 2013, 5:30:44 PM6/16/13
to scala-user, Rex Kerr
On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Rex Kerr <ich...@gmail.com> wrote:
My slides on "Designing for Performance" are also up:

http://speakerdeck.com/ichoran/designing-for-performance-scala-days-2013

I, tweeter for the twitterless:

very fine talk!

virtualeyes

Jun 16, 2013, 5:51:43 PM6/16/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
That's really impressive -- the auto pickling of case class to JSON is tasty, no boilerplate ;-)

Siddhartha Gadgil

Jun 17, 2013, 12:33:30 AM6/17/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
The picking is brilliant. But I had a few questions.
(1) A clarification: I take it that any class built recursively from primitives, case classes and lists (also maps?, sets?) is picklable out of the box. Is this correct?
(2) Then what: Once some structure is picked, I would like to store it in a file. But I cannot find a complement to scala.io.source. Can anyone help?
(3) Another thing I would like to do is to use the play reactivemongo with Json. But that uses play.api.json.JsValue objects, not scala.util.json. Are there implicit conversions around?
                  Thanks,
                  Siddhartha

etorreborre

Jun 17, 2013, 2:56:00 AM6/17/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Since this seems to be the temporary place for linking to the ScalaDays slides, here are my slides on "Scoobi/Kiama/Hadoop":

Eric.

Philipp Haller

Jun 17, 2013, 11:09:14 PM6/17/13
to etorreborre, scala-user
The slides for our talk on Scala Async by Jason and myself are also online now:

Cheers,
Philipp

Jonas Bonér

Jun 20, 2013, 10:51:15 AM6/20/13
to scala-user
My talk on Going Reactive:
--
Jonas Bonér
CTO

Josh Suereth

Jun 20, 2013, 12:54:58 PM6/20/13
to Jonas Bonér, scala-user

Rafał Krzewski

Jun 20, 2013, 1:22:11 PM6/20/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
So much awesomeness in a single thread :) Thanks for posting, everyone!

Any news on videos? Scala Days 2013 channel on Parleys is still empty...

Cheers,
Rafał

vatel

Jun 20, 2013, 1:51:04 PM6/20/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
> The slides for my talk on �Lenses: Fields as Values� are here:
> https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zW1Gm2M_x_cn9pGp6LQDwHDXQ4WSa4JTBQe1ADBtKjw/edit?usp=sharing

While Miles Sabin (Shapeless) and Rillit authors dispute about including
Rillit Lenses here or there, why not to think about including them into
Scala compiler itself - it already does so many good things for case
classes, so why not to add Lenses out-of-the box? ;)

--
Victor

Simeon Fitch

Jun 20, 2013, 3:37:46 PM6/20/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know if the Saddle and Spark-related slides are available anywhere?

Ignacio Cases

Jun 21, 2013, 12:30:37 PM6/21/13
to scala...@googlegroups.com
The slides for my talk on the use of NLP and Hermeneumatics with Scala to study Classic Maya glyphic writing:

Ignacio