Coursera progfun 2015 timeframe

Eoin Parker

Sep 4, 2015, 5:39:29 PM9/4/15
to scala-user
Hi all

After previously inquiring on this list, I understood that the next Functional Programming
Coursera (progfun) would kick off in September 2015.

However it's September now and there is still no sign of enrollment opening up.
https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun

Can anyone supply a firm timeframe for when this course will next get started ?

thanks & regards

Eoin

Eoin Parker

Sep 10, 2015, 7:43:32 PM9/10/15
to scala-user
Hi,

any update on this ?

We organized a study group of colleagues to prep for the progfun course over the summer.
They are all Scala newbies & are now psyched up about Scala,  and about starting the course for real.

but where is the course ??

thanks

Eoin

Jose Diaz

Sep 21, 2015, 9:33:26 PM9/21/15
to scala-user
Its also on my watch list! Hopefully it starts soon!

Štěpán Kabele

Sep 22, 2015, 6:11:38 AM9/22/15
to scala-user
Looking forward too. Any information when/if is starts this Autumn will be appreciated.

martin

Sep 22, 2015, 6:13:21 AM9/22/15
to scala-user
The September course has indeed been delayed because there will be some changes to the format. We still expect the course to come out this fall. We'll have an announcement as soon as things are definite.

 - Martin

thanks & regards

Eoin

Eoin Parker

Oct 2, 2015, 4:28:39 AM10/2/15
to martin, scala-user
Great!  Thanks for the info Dr Odersky.   There is a study group of people in my employer (Workday)who have been diligently prepping for this all summer, and who will be very pleased to hear that it is indeed going ahead this Fall :-)

Regards.
Eoin

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Eoin Parker

Nov 17, 2015, 3:24:53 PM11/17/15
to scala-user
Hi

any update on this previous question?

I note the previous reply from Dr.Odersky saying the course is still expected to come out this Fall.  However it is mid-November now.
I also note the associated EPFL university course, of which the first half is the online Coursera course,  does indeed seem to be underway.   (http://lamp.epfl.ch/teaching/progp)

Can anyone shed some light ?

thanks & regards
Eoin

martin odersky

Nov 17, 2015, 3:29:24 PM11/17/15
to Eoin Parker, scala-user
No, unfortunately we are still facing some unresolved issues with this
one. Sorry. But there will be a course for sure, we just do not know
when everybody will be done with the changes.

- Martin
> --

Martin Odersky
EPFL

Mike Leung

Dec 29, 2015, 3:52:35 PM12/29/15
to scala-user, eoin....@gmail.com
Is there anyway the autograder can be reinstated to the course that is currently up on coursera? Currently, assignments can be submitted, but no response is given from the autograder.

This would be a great help in the meanwhile for folks who want to do the course self paced...

Thanks.

Regards,
Mike Leung

Kevin Dillane

Feb 28, 2016, 4:35:59 AM2/28/16
to scala-user, eoin....@gmail.com
+1 on re-enabling the grader.  A group of us were hoping to use the course as part of our larger reading group.  The idea being to discuss the optimal solution to assignments and understand the solutions as group.

Naftoli Gugenheim

Feb 28, 2016, 10:22:27 AM2/28/16
to Kevin Dillane, scala-user, eoin....@gmail.com

I thought it was not possible because coursera changed the requirements?

It would really be great to get an ETA. It sounds like they need more manpower.

Robert Erdin

Apr 7, 2016, 10:34:54 PM4/7/16
to scala-user
+1 for the autograder... maybe as a binary in whatever form if it does not work on coursera

Gareth Smith

May 29, 2016, 10:01:06 AM5/29/16
to scala-user
It seems like the progfun Coursera has now completely disappeared. I was half-way through the slides/exercises, but have found today that I cannot continue.

https://www.coursera.org/course/progfun is now a 404 page.

Does anybody know what is going on here?

Gareth

Philipp Meyerhoefer

May 29, 2016, 10:10:20 AM5/29/16
to scala-user
Hi Gareth,

a bunch of new courses launched this week which cover pretty much the same contents:

Gareth Smith

May 30, 2016, 5:11:57 PM5/30/16
to scala...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Philipp, that is helpful.