Three Key Reasons to attend Scalæ By the Bay 2016 at Twitter HQ in November

Alexy Khrabrov

Jul 26, 2016, 5:58:06 PM7/26/16
to scala-user

tl;dr:

  • Thoughtful Software Engineering with Functional Programming, Type Systems, and Developer Productivity
  • Reactive Microservices and Streaming Architectures
  • Scalable Data Pipelines and Machine Learning
  • … all with live coding, Open Source Software, by the developers who built it and use it in production

In its fourth year, we merged Scala By the Bay and Big Data Pipelines into three days of Scala+Scale=Scalæ By the Bay 2016. The whole conference is hosted by Twitter HQ this year, at the same place where we had the FinagleCon day of SBTB 2015 — except now we have the whole floor, with three large tracks, multiple BoF rooms, and vast networking spaces with endless artisanal coffee.

If you care about thoughtful software engineering, are building microservices, data pipelines, and need scalable machine learning, this is one place where you’ll find all these topics covered in detail, in harmony, and running in parallel for the whole three days, November 11–13.

We have 80+ talks from companies using Scala in production, including Twitter, Uber, Salesforce, Comcast, Symantec, Yahoo, Coursera, Credit Karma, Nitro, Box, Criteo, Nvidia, Stripe, Netflix, Verizon, IBM, Bloomberg, Symantec, Samsung, UC Berkeley AMPLab, SmartNews, WIX, and more.

Miles Sabin, Julie Pitt, and Jay Kreps will keynote on the key issues for Scala community: Type-level programming, Scala and AI, and Data Pipelines.

The two key areas of Scala growth are reactive microservices and data pipelines, covered most thoroughly and with the most representative sets of alternatives. For micorservices, Twitter HQ and its offsprings field its best Finagle engineers, showing what actually works at Twitter scale every day. Lagom, the new offering from Lightbend, is presented, as well as Event Source-based approaches. Colossus, the fastest API implementation in the world from Tumblr, is presented by its architect. Various ways to compose services will be covered, such as Finch (for Finagle) and http4s. Twitter Core System Libraries team will hold a Q&A on what actually works, where you can save years of experimentation and take the findings from the bird’s mouth.

By the Bay conferences is where the SMACK stack was popularized, and we continue this tradition in spades — from Jay’s keynote on Kafka to multiple studies of Spark for Machine Learning, to Flink, to Akka, etc.

We have a record number of streaming data pipelines this year — with Kafka, Flink, Spark Streaming, Akka Streams, etc. The NoETL.org approach, implemented in various SMACK stacks, makes Scalæ By the Bay the best place to understand exactly how streaming should be implemented end-to-end.

Check out scala.bythebay.io regularly for conference news and deadlines, and keep in mind that it will be sold out, as all previous By the Bay events did. We hope to see you at Twitter SF in November!

Cheers,

A+ & SBTB