activator templates / github

Gavin Baumanis

Sep 25, 2016, 12:24:24 AM9/25/16
to scala-user
Hi everyone,

I was just curious as to how are the templates updates?
In that I recently ran;
"activator new myApp akka-scala-seed"

And went to git-hub to create a pull request to update the libraries to the latest versions, only to find that the source code in the git repo is different to the template that gets downloaded.

Does that mean "something" has to be done to ensure that acitvatoe new XXX reflects the github version?

As always thanks!

Gavin Baumanis

I, for one, like Roman numerals.

Naftoli Gugenheim

Sep 25, 2016, 6:46:17 PM9/25/16
to Gavin Baumanis, scala-user
I believe the activator service caches the template, so I guess the author might have to get it to update the cache?

P.S., the next version of sbt has a built-in, pluggable scaffolding ("new") command. I think it will ship with giter8 support out of the box, a scaffolding system which collected dust for a long time but had recently been revived, and which uses github repos directly. So perhaps template authors should start moving to giter8 instead of or in addition to activator. (I don't know if they conflict -- if a giter8 repo can also be an activator template without any conflicting expectations.)