ANNOUNCE: Akka Streams & HTTP 1.0-RC3

Roland Kuhn

May 22, 2015, 11:43:55 AM5/22/15
to akka-user, akka-dev, scala-user

Dear hakkers,

we—the Akka committers—are pleased to announce the third release candidate for Akka Streams & HTTP. The most notable changes since 1.0-RC2 are:

  • we integrated the Scala and Java DSLs within combined artifacts again, since the separation was only superficial and did not justify the added build complexity; this entails no movement of classes between packages, we only reduced the number of produced artifacts

  • we added tons of documentation, mostly in HTTP
  • we added HTTPS integration for client and server (but no session renegotiation for now)
  • we smoothed some wrinkles and straightened out some kinks in the DSLs (made argument types less restrictive, added preStart/postStop hooks for Stages, …)
  • we updated the Akka dependency to 2.3.11 (which contains some important regression fixes)
  • and we fixed a few deficiencies here and there (most notably some Actor leaks and Reactive Streams compliance issues).

For the full list please refer to the github milestones for Streams and HTTP.

We’d like to thank Philip L. McMahon, Alexander Golubev, Greg Methvin and 2beaucoup for their contributions!

Please give it a spin!

Happy hakking!

Roland Kuhn

May 22, 2015, 4:32:11 PM5/22/15
to akka-dev, scala-user, akka-user
Thanks, corrected!

22 maj 2015 kl. 22:17 skrev Jeroen Gordijn <jeroen....@gmail.com>:

Hi Roland,

This is great! Kudo's for the good work.

I wanted to get it going and noticed that http://akka.io/docs/ still mentions two seperate http artifacts for scala and java. It is not listing all available artifacts as mentioned on http://doc.akka.io/docs/akka-stream-and-http-experimental/1.0-RC3/scala/http/introduction.html (specifically: akka-http-spray-json-experimental, akka-http-spray-testkit-experimental, akka-http-spray-xml-experimental)

Have a nice weekend,
Jeroen

Op vrijdag 22 mei 2015 17:43:47 UTC+2 schreef rkuhn:

Dr. Roland Kuhn
Akka Tech Lead
Typesafe – Reactive apps on the JVM.
twitter: @rolandkuhn

Anton Kulaga

May 24, 2015, 5:59:23 AM5/24/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com, akka...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com
Great news!
But do not you think that you had rushed to add RC suffix to akka-http?
I see that a number of changes between RC-1 and RC2, RC2 and RC3 is more common to milestones rather then RC-s?

>we integrated the Scala and Java DSLs within combined artifacts again, since the separation was only superficial

Scala developers will never use Java API, Java developers are not able to use scala API unles they move to Scala. So about a half of DSL artifact will neve be used by developers.

Roland Kuhn

May 24, 2015, 6:10:12 AM5/24/15
24 maj 2015 kl. 11:59 skrev Anton Kulaga <anton...@gmail.com>:

Great news!
But do not you think that you had rushed to add RC suffix to akka-http?
I see that a number of changes between RC-1 and RC2, RC2 and RC3 is more common to milestones rather then RC-s?

Most of the change volume is documentation, plus fixes to reported problems. The addition of the HTTPS API is superficial only, it builds upon all TLS infrastructure that was in place before. I can see what you mean, but on the other hand these projects have been taking too long already and we need to push out a 1.0 now—while we don’t compromise on implementation quality we may compromise a slight little bit on the process ;-)

>we integrated the Scala and Java DSLs within combined artifacts again, since the separation was only superficial

Scala developers will never use Java API, Java developers are not able to use scala API unles they move to Scala. So about a half of DSL artifact will neve be used by developers.

That is unfortunately only half the truth: in order to avoid enormous duplication one side of the API is built on top of the other, so splitting off one half does not work consistently (the Scala HTTP model depends upon the Java one, and the Java routing DSL depends upon the Scala one). We considered building both DSLs on top of a third one that is internal, but even in that case would the internal classes show up in IDE auto-completion, and it would be a huge amount of extra work. Therefore we opted for not splitting them up at all and documenting how to filter IDE suggestions instead.

Regards,

Roland

On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 6:43:53 PM UTC+3, rkuhn wrote:

Dear hakkers,

we—the Akka committers—are pleased to announce the third release candidate for Akka Streams & HTTP. The most notable changes since 1.0-RC2 are:

  • we integrated the Scala and Java DSLs within combined artifacts again, since the separation was only superficial and did not justify the added build complexity; this entails no movement of classes between packages, we only reduced the number of produced artifacts

  • we added tons of documentation, mostly in HTTP
  • we added HTTPS integration for client and server (but no session renegotiation for now)
  • we smoothed some wrinkles and straightened out some kinks in the DSLs (made argument types less restrictive, added preStart/postStop hooks for Stages, …)
  • we updated the Akka dependency to 2.3.11 (which contains some important regression fixes)
  • and we fixed a few deficiencies here and there (most notably some Actor leaks and Reactive Streams compliance issues).

For the full list please refer to the github milestones for Streams and HTTP.

We’d like to thank Philip L. McMahon, Alexander Golubev, Greg Methvin and 2beaucoup for their contributions!

Please give it a spin!

Happy hakking!

---

Anton Kulaga

May 25, 2015, 3:52:16 AM5/25/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com, akka...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Roland, for the comprehensive response,

I want also to ask about session management. In play it is very easy to store something in the session scope but it is hard to understand for me how to do the same in akka-http.

Roland Kuhn

May 25, 2015, 4:10:20 AM5/25/15
to akka-user, akka-dev, scala-user
Hi Anton,

the focus of Akka HTTP is implementing RESTful endpoints with Streams and Actors. Session management sounds more like a web framework concern to me, but I’ll let other chime in on this one; if I’m right, though, my recommendation would be to use Play for these cases. One thing that I do know is that Akka HTTP does not want to be a web framework because there are much better solutions out there for this particular problem.

Regards,

Roland

Nicolaas Frederick Huysamen

May 25, 2015, 5:39:30 AM5/25/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, akka...@googlegroups.com
+1 for Java docs.

On Monday, 25 May 2015 10:24:50 UTC+2, Guido Medina wrote:
Excellent news,

But I couldn't find the HTTP guide for Java, ETA?, unfortunately our project is using Akka/Java 8.

We are waiting on it to use right away :D

Best regards,

Guido.

Roland Kuhn

May 25, 2015, 6:01:33 AM5/25/15
to akka-user, scala-user, akka-dev
Yup, Java docs coming up next—the idea is to first complete one set of the docs (Scala) and then do a translation (to Java).

---

Jakub Liska

May 28, 2015, 4:14:33 PM5/28/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com, akka...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

how about these 2 deps? Haven't they been deployed or their name changed?

[warn]  ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[warn]  ::          UNRESOLVED DEPENDENCIES         ::
[warn]  ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
[warn]  :: com.typesafe.akka#akka-http-scala-experimental_2.11;1.0-RC3: not found
[warn]  :: com.typesafe.akka#akka-http-testkit-scala-experimental_2.11;1.0-RC3: not found
[

Roland Kuhn

May 28, 2015, 4:49:46 PM5/28/15
to akka-user, akka-dev, scala-user
Yes, as announced we collapsed the previously half-heartedly separated Java/Scala artifacts again, hence no “-scala” in the name anymore.

Regards,

Roland