Understanding Java 8 Lambdas and Streams - Part 1 - λ Calculus, λ Expressions, Syntactic Sugar, 1st Class Functions

Philip Schwarz

Mar 14, 2015, 8:06:40 PM3/14/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

anyone care to comment on the Scala aspects of my talk?

Thanks,

Philip Schwarz

Stephen Compall

Mar 21, 2015, 12:36:25 AM3/21/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 2015-03-14 at 17:06 -0700, Philip Schwarz wrote:
Hello everyone,

anyone care to comment on the Scala aspects of my talk?

Could you narrow that down a bit? You have a whopping 344 slides, and it's frightfully tedious to load and search through your presentation, especially on a slow connection, with your chosen web service vs., say, a downloadable PDF.

--
Stephen Compall
"^aCollection allSatisfy: [:each|aCondition]": less is better

Philip Schwarz

Mar 21, 2015, 8:13:17 AM3/21/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stephen,

There is a download button for the PDF.

There are only 87 Powerpoint slides, but they contain animations to phase in phrases, images, etc. The animations are lost in the PDF version, but can be simulated by increasing the number of slides, which I did where the phasing in mattered.

The scala Slides are  265-285 and 289-302

Thanks,

Philip

Lukas Rytz

Mar 22, 2015, 5:33:26 AM3/22/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
265: just a comment: higher-order functions that return functions are much less common than those taking a function as argument (canonical example: map)
269: note that the apply method is inserted whenever a value is applied to an argument, the value doesn't need to have a function type.
297: the "pure" / "impure" terminology is a bit confusing in this context. purity is usually used when talking about (the absence of) side effects.
302: you can do it in java, too, with the :: syntax ("method reference": https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/methodreferences.html)

Best,
Lukas

Philip Schwarz

Mar 22, 2015, 2:12:07 PM3/22/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lukas,

>higher-order functions that return functions are much less common than those taking a function
any idea about the proportion of function-returning functions in the typical functional programmer's arsenal?

>the apply method is inserted whenever a value is applied to an argument, the value doesn't need to have a function type
yep

>the "pure" / "impure" terminology is a bit confusing in this context. purity is usually used when talking about (the absence of) side effects.

>you can do it in java, too, with the :: syntax
good point!

Thanks a lot for your input!

Philip

Vlad Patryshev

Mar 22, 2015, 2:41:52 PM3/22/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, as soon as you curry a function, you get a function that returns a function that returns a funcion.

Thanks,
-Vlad

Philip Schwarz

Nov 21, 2015, 12:42:43 PM11/21/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lukas,

>you can do it in java, too, with the :: syntax
I finally got round to updating the slides:

Inline images 1

​Philip