[GSoC]Compile Java to ScalaJS IR project, a strong matched background man

Wenjie Yang

Mar 17, 2016, 1:59:25 PM3/17/16
to scala-language
Hi, guys:

I'm so sorry that I contact you so late. Sorry for that I did not see this project related to compiler.

I'm a student from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. Now I'm an exchange student in Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Now I'm a research intern directed by Prof. Charles Zhang(http://www.cse.ust.hk/~charlesz/), doing research about program analysis.

You can see that I have a strong background about compiler and programming language. I've done some projects about compiler. OAT language compiler is a OOP language compiler I wrote in OCaml. I designed a IR according to LLVM syntax then build a runtime. I compile source code to the IR. What's more, I also design a framework for program analysis via KILL-GEN approach.

Another project about compiler is a compiler that compile Small-C code to LLVM IR. You can get it here. I'm familiar with LLVM IR via this project and I know the workflow of how to write a compiler and how to optimize.

Besides, I'm also a Scala user. I start programming in Scala two years ago. I love this language. I have read lots of papers about Scala directed by Odersky.

I'm also an active developer on github. You can find me here, @mrmiywj. Recently I contributed to finch, a pure functional project for Finagle, written in Scala, maintained by Twitter.

My personal website: http://blog.ivanyang.me

For this project, what's your advice for me?

Hope for your reply!

Thanks and best regards!

Sébastien Doeraene

Mar 17, 2016, 5:30:52 PM3/17/16
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello Wenjie Yang,

Do not worry, you're not late. You still have until March 25 to apply to GSoC.
As for any GSoC project, for this time of the program, it is time to write a proposal draft and submit it to the GSoC program website, to ask for comments.

Also, I suggest you look in this mailing list for previous discussions about this project, as they contain a few clues that might be useful to get into the topic a bit more.

Cheers,
Sébastien

Wenjie Yang

Mar 17, 2016, 9:17:23 PM3/17/16
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
HI, Sébastien
I read through the discussion about this project in the mailing list. I found that there is no docs for Scala-js IR. Is it a good start to write a specification about the IR? So that we can easily build compiler on it.

Thanks and best regards
Wenjie Yang

杨文杰
Wenjie Yang

Department of Computer Science
School of Electronic Information and Electrical Engineering
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Message has been deleted

Naftoli Gugenheim

Mar 21, 2016, 1:37:43 AM3/21/16
to scala-language

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 7:06 AM Wenjie Yang <jsyang...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I've completed a proposal draft. You are welcome to comment on this. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1D7YcJ87foSr-rvowJ_3bx3X_bXa1fGdLDjYz_gwhtD0/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks and best regards.

在 2016年3月18日星期五 UTC+8上午9:17:23,Wenjie Yang写道:

杨文杰

Mar 21, 2016, 1:38:53 AM3/21/16
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Yep. After my midterm exam, I will work on it.