scala/AnyRef and scala/Any -- need some feedback

Hadil Sabbagh

Feb 16, 2015, 8:59:12 AM2/16/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
I am currently working on a project to compile Scala JVM code to CUDA. I have need to preload some classes into my ClassLoader, namely scala/AnyRef and scala/Any. I have been reviewing the source code and it does not appear that the implementations of these components match what is in the code.

Can a member of the Scala team explain to me how these are implemented and what I should find in the scala-library-2.11..5.jar file for them? I would be most grateful.

If you are intereesting in seeing my progress thus far, it in on Github as GrayMatterTechnology/rootbeerfloat.

Thanks,
Hadil G. Sabbagh, Ph.D.
Gray Matter Technology, LLc

Simon Ochsenreither

Feb 16, 2015, 11:07:17 AM2/16/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hadil,

as far as I remember, the source for these files is in https://github.com/scala/scala/tree/2.11.x/src/library-aux (see the readme).
These source files mostly serve as a holder for documentation. They are what we call "compiler-fiction": both of them are erased to java.lang.Object during compilation.

Bye,

Simon

Som Snytt

Feb 16, 2015, 11:15:38 AM2/16/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
They're found in the compiler fiction section, where all is mirrors.

https://github.com/scala/scala/blob/v2.11.5/src/reflect/scala/reflect/internal/Definitions.scala#L255

Hadil Sabbagh

Feb 16, 2015, 11:16:56 AM2/16/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Simon. That is what I had suspected, just needed to confirm.