ScalaReference building

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 9:33:14 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I think Latex and myself do not get along.  I'm trying to build the ScalaReference (in the distribution build, not the original ant build) and getting the following:

[error] kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+526/600 --dpi 526 ul9ro8r
[error] mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ul9ro8r.
[error] kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
[info] [182] [183] (./ScalaReference.aux)
[info]
[info] LaTeX Warning: There were undefined references.
[info]
[info]  ) )
[info] (see the transcript file for additional information)
[info] !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ul9ro8r): Font ul9ro8r at 526 not found
[info]  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
[error] Latexmk: Missing input file: 'ScalaReference.tpt' from line
[error]   'Package thumbpdf Warning: Thumbnail data file `ScalaReference.tpt' not found.'
[error] Latexmk: Reference `volatile-types' on page 137 undefined
[error] Latexmk: Reference `volatile-types' on page 137 undefined
[error] Latexmk: Found input bbl file 'ScalaReference.bbl'
[error] Latexmk: Found bibliography file(s) [/home/jsuereth/project/scala/scala-dist/documentation/src/reference/Scala.bib]
[error] Failure to make 'ScalaReference.pdf'
[error] Collected error summary (may duplicate other messages):
[info] Latexmk: Errors, so I did not complete making targets
[error]   pdflatex: Command for 'pdflatex' gave return code 17920
[error] Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.

I've done a whole bunch of investigating what I can install for LATEX and I have no idea what to do any further.   Does anyone who managed to get Latex working know what rituals I must perform to build the ScalaReference?

Simon Ochsenreither

May 22, 2012, 9:56:44 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I had the same problem. You need additional fonts, make them available in a special way and then run some command to let tex know about it (which exists in two different incantations and I have no idea which one is needed). I'll report back when I'm home and can tell you how I figured that out, ok?

Which TeX distribution do you run, btw?

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 10:17:05 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
texlive (the one ubuntu docs tell you to use).

iulian dragos

May 22, 2012, 10:22:09 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Josh Suereth <joshua....@gmail.com> wrote:
> texlive (the one ubuntu docs tell you to use).

Do you have the Luxi Mono font? It's not a free font, so it doesn't
come by default in most distributions. It shouldn't be too difficult
to install it (either from CTAN or using a helper script). Maybe this
helps:

http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/22157/how-to-use-the-luximono-font-with-tex-live

cheers,
iulian
--
« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 10:33:58 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I tried to install luxi mono.  Maybe it failed....

Antonio Cunei

May 22, 2012, 10:48:20 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Changing the Luximono font to a different one would be a Good Thing,
actually.

The reason why Luxi was used, from what I understand, is that it was
initially included in most distributions. However, its licensing terms
allow for redistribution but not modification. On that basis, it was
eventually considered not to be "free" enough, and was (long ago)
removed from texlive etc.

Ever since, people have been cursing trying to build the Scala
documentation because of the missing Luximono font. But there is no
reason to use specifically that font, it may as well be replaced now.

Toni

--
Antonio Cunei
Scala Team, EPFL

iulian dragos

May 22, 2012, 10:56:17 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Josh Suereth <joshua....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to install luxi mono.  Maybe it failed....
>

> [info] !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ul9ro8r): Font ul9ro8r at 526 not found

That' is definitely part of LuxiMono...

martin odersky

May 22, 2012, 10:56:52 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Antonio Cunei <antoni...@epfl.ch> wrote:
Changing the Luximono font to a different one would be a Good Thing, actually.

The reason why Luxi was used, from what I understand, is that it was initially included in most distributions. However, its licensing terms allow for redistribution but not modification. On that basis, it was eventually considered not to be "free" enough, and was (long ago) removed from texlive etc.

Ever since, people have been cursing trying to build the Scala documentation because of the missing Luximono font. But there is no reason to use specifically that font, it may as well be replaced now.

It the time it was chosen because was one of the few fixed size fonts looked nice. Nobody wants courier as a fixed font. Consolas would be OK, but not sure that exists for latex.

 - Martin

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 10:58:08 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Any suggestions?

   <mailto:simon.ochsenreither@googlemail.com>> wrote:

    >> I had the same problem. You need additional fonts, make them
   available in
    >> a special way and then run some command to let tex know about it
   (which
    >> exists in two different incantations and I have no idea which one is
    >> needed). I'll report back when I'm home and can tell you how I
   figured that
    >> out, ok?
    >>
    >> Which TeX distribution do you run, btw?

   --
   « Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
   Alphonse Allais

Roland Kuhn

May 22, 2012, 11:01:26 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Using XeTeX enables system installed fonts, no need for special latex stuff anymore. Just sayin' …

Regards,

Roland Kuhn
Typesafe — The software stack for applications that scale
twitter: @rolandkuhn

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 11:03:24 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I followed the link.  Same error.

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 11:04:21 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
XeTeX is setup on my latex....

Lukas Rytz

May 22, 2012, 11:07:25 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
some notes i took some day, to install luximono into a mactex distribution. not sure it works.

luximono

- download "install-getnonfreefonts" from http://tug.org/fonts/getnonfreefonts/
- run "sudo texlua /path/to/install-getnonfreefonts"
- run "sudo getnonfreefonts-sys luximono"

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 11:11:37 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I rand those.   Still not working.  Could be an Ubuntu 12.04 thing.  They appear to have rushed the packaging of some things in this release.

Lukas Rytz

May 22, 2012, 11:13:08 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
my notes relate to OS X / mactex, no idea if they apply to ubuntu

Josh Suereth

May 22, 2012, 11:17:08 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
What's the OS on the machine you have the nightly running on?

Lukas Rytz

May 22, 2012, 11:19:11 AM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
that's ubuntu. there the process to install tex and luximono was writing an email to our admin :)

Geoff Reedy

May 22, 2012, 12:57:32 PM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 04:56:52PM +0200, martin odersky said
> It the time it was chosen because was one of the few fixed size fonts
> looked nice. Nobody wants courier as a fixed font. Consolas would be OK,
> but not sure that exists for latex.

I'd suggest Inconsolata (\usepackage{inconsolata}), Bera Mono
(\usepackage[scaled]{beramono}) or Droid Sans Mono
(\usepackage[defaultmono]{droidmono}) would also be a good choice as
they are part of TeXlive and IMO look pretty good. Droid and Bera are
complete families so using them for all fonts would make a more
consistent look. They all will need \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and if
mixing typefaces be sure to adjust for the different design sizes.

Daniel Sobral

May 22, 2012, 4:19:41 PM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I suggest Inconsolata (which is the one easier to get) or DejaVu Sans
Mono. Together with Consolas, these are at the top of most fixed-font
for programmers comparison. They also have good unicode support, which
I assume is important.

--
Daniel C. Sobral

I travel to the future all the time.

Simon Ochsenreither

May 22, 2012, 4:20:55 PM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

Ever since, people have been cursing trying to build the Scala documentation because of the missing Luximono font. But there is no reason to use specifically that font, it may as well be replaced now.

It the time it was chosen because was one of the few fixed size fonts looked nice. Nobody wants courier as a fixed font. Consolas would be OK, but not sure that exists for latex.

Trying to build the spec has cost me almost 10 hours of my life, so I would have every reason to hate that font ... but I agree with Martin, Luxi Mono is exceptionally nice compared to the rest.

@Josh:

Install the font with
getnonfreefonts luximono
(or better just install everything.)

Then have a look at the instructions at the top of the main document about adding that entry to the file.

Then run updmap

Those tools also have a version with “-sys” appended, but as far as I remember you need those without it ...

Btw: Every other distribution ships with those fonts, afaik, so it isn't that bad...

Hope this helps.

√iktor Ҡlang

May 22, 2012, 4:22:17 PM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Droid Sans Mono!
--
Viktor Klang

Akka Tech Lead
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale

Twitter: @viktorklang

Simon Ochsenreither

May 22, 2012, 4:23:31 PM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Trying to build the spec has cost me almost 10 hours of my life, so I would have every reason to hate that font ... but I agree with Martin, Luxi Mono is exceptionally nice compared to the rest.

Simon Ochsenreither

May 22, 2012, 4:31:46 PM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Josh: Also try running mktexlsr, update-updmap, updmap-sys --enable MixedMap ul9.map or updmap --enable MixedMap ul9.map. Try placing “Map ul9.map” in /etc/texmf/updmap.d/10local.cfg first.

Daniel Sobral

May 22, 2012, 5:28:54 PM5/22/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
They are missing Consolas there. I'd pick DejaVu Sans Mono or Bera
Mono (which is based on DejaVu, just like Droid).

I have always hated how Inconsolata looks grayed-out. It needs
subpixel rendering, and, even then, I find that it takes some time to
get used to it. On the other hand, it is seriously horizontally
compressed compared to other fonts, which can be handy.

Josh Suereth

May 23, 2012, 10:26:23 AM5/23/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
No dice mine.  I'm giving up on luximono.