Re: [scala-language] scala 2.12 M1

Adriaan Moors

Feb 17, 2015, 2:07:17 PM2/17/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

Glad you asked -- I should've sent out an update on this sooner.  We have been keeping https://github.com/scala/scala/milestones more up to date with deadlines & work items.

You didn't miss anything, except for the team being a bit overloaded with work on 2.11.x etc. (We also had to unexpectedly invest in new CI infrastructure because the servers at EPFL were beginning to melt under the load.)

Note that most of the work slated for 2.11 will first land as an experimental feature in 2.12, and we've made good progress with those (indy-lambda & new optimizer).

More concretely, the work on the 2.12 features you're excited about isn't three months behind (and in fact, you can play with some of them in 2.11.x!). We're delaying the first 2.12 milestone until we've moved to the new sbt build, because, for now, there's not much in 2.12.x that isn't also in 2.11.x.

cheers
adriaan

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 1:35 AM, David Roon <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am trying to see what the status is for scala 2.12.

When I read the roadmap it sounds really cool and I am looking forward to play with it.

My issue is that the first milestone was planned end of november 2014 and we are now 3 months later and I see no sign of this version.

Did I miss something? Is there blocking issues that prevent the first milestone to come?

Keep up the good work!

Adriaan Moors

Feb 19, 2015, 6:33:18 PM2/19/15
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The most exciting of the java 8 features (indy-lambda) lives in a branch (see link) for now. I expect it to be available soon in 2.11.7-SNAPSHOT.
SAM support is available under -Xexperimental in 2.11.5

cheers
adriaan

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:00 AM, David Roon <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great news!

Good to know where to look for the milestones. I moved to Java 8 and I am very excited to see all these improvements in Scala.
Is there somewhere where I can see which flags should I use to try these functionalities?

Sorry to hear for your CI servers. I hope everything is back to normal.

Keep up the good work!!