Is there a sane way to build the TeX sources in scala-dist?

Simon Ochsenreither

May 14, 2012, 3:57:02 PM5/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm trying to build the tex sources in https://github.com/scala/scala-dist/tree/master/documentation/src/reference.

Did anyone manage to do that in a repeatable way?

After not getting the lovely Ant-Exec-LatexMk chain to work (issues with ant-nodep), I tried to run latexmk (the TEXINPUT env var used in the ant script doesn't work here, after setting it tex doesn't even find book.cls anymore ...). This resulted in giving up on the st-files in lib, which I just copied to the tex dir instead. After trying to find the files mentioned in ScalaReference.tex, namely ul9.map and fourier.map and giving su rights to some random script (getnonfreefonts) downloaded off the internet ... doing ... something I can at least find the files mentioned. I followed the further instructions, but I'm stuck with

Now it is working ... no idea why. Not the slightest clue why it works after redoing some of these commands, especially after doing that for probably 8 hours straight...

So I guess my email comes down to: Can't this stuff be simplified a bit?

Thanks and bye,

Simon

Lukas Rytz

May 14, 2012, 4:14:48 PM5/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
It most certainly can :)

Simon Ochsenreither

May 14, 2012, 6:22:32 PM5/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
After an insanely painful setup process and diffing PDF files, I'm happy to offer some updates to the spec:

Updates Scala specification for 2.10

  • Removed Octal literals
  • Disallowed FP literals without digit after dot
  • Removed val in for comprehension value definitions (Fixes SI-4918)
  • Added ## to the list of non-NPE-throwing Null methods (Fixes SI-4311)
  • Adapted some wording around AnyRef/AnyVal
  • Removed primitive type aliases (Fixes SI-4628)
  • Casting of null (Fixes second part of SI-4437)
  • Removed ScalaObject from the spec (Closes SI-4648)
  • Merged the changes of the PDF-only Scala-2.9-Draft manually

https://github.com/scala/scala-dist/pull/19

Have fun.

Simon Ochsenreither

May 14, 2012, 6:30:48 PM5/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
The obvious thing not updated is the picture of Scala's type hierarchy. Would be nice if someone let me know if there is an editable version of it somewhere, before I recreate it by hand.

Thanks and bye,

Simon

PS: ## should probably added to 12.1, too.

Simon Ochsenreither

May 14, 2012, 6:39:23 PM5/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Mhhhh ... and the Changelog needs updates, too.

Simon Ochsenreither

May 14, 2012, 6:47:11 PM5/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, moved changes to branch, new pull request: https://github.com/scala/scala-dist/pull/20

Josh Suereth

May 14, 2012, 6:53:35 PM5/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

Note:  I'm working on wiring that build into the distribution build.  Thanks for the updates.