2.12.0-M4 is staged (not tagged or released yet)

Adriaan Moors

Apr 1, 2016, 6:29:47 PM4/1/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

2.12.0-M4 is staged! To try our first milestone with the new trait encoding and invokedynamic for all function literals (including those of SAM type) -- add the following to your sbt build:
resolvers ++= Seq(
  "Scala 2.12.0-M4 Core" at "https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgscala-lang-1304/",
  "Scala 2.12.0-M4 Modules" at "https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgscala-lang-1305/")

scalaVersion := "2.12.0-M4"

You may also download the distro (zip, tgz, msi).

If all goes well, we'll announce formally on Monday. If you get a chance to try it out by then, please let us know how it went!

Here are the PRs we'd like to highlight already. Thank you all for your contributions! It's been an intense couple of months getting all this done, and I'm really excited about the result!

For those forward-looking types, here's our list of issues currently in the running for M5, which is due by end of May. We consider 2.12 feature complete with M4, and will take the next three months to focus on polish & stability.

cheers
adriaan

PS: not april fools

Sébastien Doeraene

Apr 3, 2016, 5:02:56 PM4/3/16
to scala-internals

Hi all,

For general information, before someone asks: I am on vacation until next Sunday with no computer from which I can build and publish Scala.js for this milestone.

If you need to try it out, please check out scala-js/scala-js tag v0.6.8, and publish locally with this command:

> ++2.12.0-M4
> ;compiler/publishLocal;library/publishLocal;javalibEx/publishLocal;testInterface/publishLocal;stubs/publishLocal;jasmineTestFramework/publishLocal;jUnitRuntime/publishLocal;jUnitPlugin/publishLocal

0.6.7 and earlier will not work with M4.

Cheers,
Sébastien

Adriaan Moors

Apr 4, 2016, 1:48:32 PM4/4/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
FYI: M4 is now available on Maven Central! Happy rebuilding :-)

Full announcement later today.

virtualeyes

Apr 5, 2016, 8:08:44 AM4/5/16
to scala-internals
Just compiled a Scala 2.9 era library against the M4 release.

Not only did it compile and pass all tests, with the -optimise flag set I was able to publishLocal and see the new optimiser at work -- about 10% smaller jar.

Haven't done any benchmarking yet, but that everything worked out of the box on legacy code was needless to say, unexpected!

Looking forward to the "polish & stability" phase, and GA release this summer ;-)

Simon Ochsenreither

Apr 5, 2016, 8:40:29 AM4/5/16
to scala-internals

Just compiled a Scala 2.9 era library against the M4 release.

Not only did it compile and pass all tests, with the -optimise flag set I was able to publishLocal and see the new optimiser at work -- about 10% smaller jar.

Haven't done any benchmarking yet, but that everything worked out of the box on legacy code was needless to say, unexpected!

I think we should integrate that as a quote into the 2.12 release notes. :-D
I think it would be a great example of "it might not be perfect yet, but our dedication to compatibility seems to work out!".

Adriaan Moors

Apr 5, 2016, 11:21:51 AM4/5/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the report. This made my day!

Marconi

Apr 7, 2016, 11:25:22 AM4/7/16
to scala-internals
On Monday, 4 April 2016 13:48:32 UTC-4, Adriaan Moors wrote:

Full announcement later today.

Hi Adriaan,

Any news on the official announcement?

Adriaan Moors

Apr 7, 2016, 11:54:33 AM4/7/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
We're a bit delayed in announcing because we wanted to have some more core libraries and projects published when we launch. The release itself is done, though: it's tagged and available from maven, as well as a distro! The release notes are being polished here.

We have a few core projects that have released, like scalacheck and scalatest (thanks!). We are hoping to get scala-java8-compat out this week (it's blocked on an M4 build of genjavadoc-plugin) and then we'll be ready to announce. I expect scala.js and akka will publish a build against M4 early next week.

Thanks for your patience!
adriaan

Sébastien Doeraene

Apr 10, 2016, 4:34:35 AM4/10/16
to scala-internals
Scala.js 0.6.8 is published on Sonatype. It should hit Central soon.

I repeat that earlier releases of Scala.js will *not* work at all with 2.12.0-M4.

Sébastien

Adriaan Moors

Apr 10, 2016, 1:22:39 PM4/10/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Sébastien! As well for the excellent feedback on earlier versions of indysam support at #4971!