Scala 2.12.0-RC2 is out!

Adriaan Moors

Oct 15, 2016, 2:06:06 AM10/15/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to pre-announce RC2! We'll publish the full release notes after the weekend.

Thank you all for trying out RC1 and reporting the issues you discovered! I have a pretty good feeling about RC2 thanks to your thorough testing of RC1 and the ever-growing list of projects in the community build. For the most notable changes in RC2, please take a look at these PRs.

I'd like to especially highlight Lukas & Jason's efforts in diagnosing the JVM performance impact of alternative trait encodings: check out Luka's blog post#5429, and our ongoing work. Oh, and do enjoy my favorite RC2 one-liner.

We're excited to hear about your experience with RC2! If all goes well, we'll declare this the final in two weeks from now.

cheers
adriaan

Sébastien Doeraene

Oct 15, 2016, 3:14:45 AM10/15/16
to scala-internals
Hello,

Scala.js 0.6.13 is on its way to Maven Central for 2.12.0-RC2. Note that we have not yet announced Scala.js 0.6.13. It should be announced on Monday.
More importantly, it contains some breaking changes in builds. I therefore advise library authors to read the WiP release notes at https://github.com/scala-js/scala-js-website/pull/314/files#diff-04e86a9f897522c94a6ff1f5e2ad16c4

0.6.13 is also available for 2.12.0-RC1, so if you want, you can first upgrade Scala.js and test, then upgrade to RC2.

Cheers,
Sébastien

Miles Sabin

Oct 19, 2016, 5:56:10 PM10/19/16
to scala-internals
FYI: I've just published shapeless-2.3.2 and macrocompat-1.1.1 for Scala 2.3.2.

Cheers,

Miles
>> email to scala-interna...@googlegroups.com.
>

> --

Miles Sabin
tel: +44 7813 944 528
skype: milessabin
gtalk: mi...@milessabin.com
http://milessabin.com/blog
http://twitter.com/milessabin

David Barri

Oct 24, 2016, 8:10:17 AM10/24/16
to scala-internals

Seth Tisue

Oct 24, 2016, 9:42:53 PM10/24/16
to scala-internals
A big thank you to everybody who has tested their projects and/or published libraries for 2.12.0-RC2. The list of published libraries at:
is looking pretty robust.

I don't want to jinx it, but no regression serious enough to prevent 2.12.0 final from going forward has been reported, so it's looking more and more likely that 2.12.0 will differ from 2.12.0-RC2 only in version number. With luck, we'll tag it on Friday and announce next week.

Seth Tisue / Scala team / Lightbend, Inc.

David Barri

Oct 25, 2016, 3:39:53 AM10/25/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

Hi Seth,

Erm, the regression I mentioned above is pretty serious to me and my library users. I have about 8 or 9 libraries and I can't compile any of them (literally) until the above regression is resolved.

Cheers, DB

Lukas Rytz

Oct 25, 2016, 3:46:25 AM10/25/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Possible workarounds are being discussed here:

Seth Tisue

Oct 25, 2016, 1:38:50 PM10/25/16
to scala-internals
On Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 12:39:53 AM UTC-7, David Barri wrote:

Hi Seth,

Erm, the regression I mentioned above is pretty serious to me and my library users. I have about 8 or 9 libraries and I can't compile any of them (literally) until the above regression is resolved.

Cheers, DB

Hopefully on the scala-dev ticket Lukas linked to we can find a suitable workaround for that.

But also: it sounds like we should have one or more of your libraries in the Scala 2.12 community build. That would have alerted us to this issue earlier. The eligibility requirements are at https://github.com/scala/community-builds/wiki/Eligibility . I guess we should try to add Nyaya. Anything else? Let's discuss further at https://github.com/scala/community-builds/issues/368

Seth

David Barri

Oct 25, 2016, 3:45:01 PM10/25/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Good morning!

Yes. I agree and I'm kicking myself because I had the same thought a few months ago that I should add some of my libs to the community build. Then I forgot. :(

Ok, talk to you in the new ticket (thanks for creating that by the way).

Cheers, DB

Lukas Rytz

Oct 31, 2016, 5:20:00 PM10/31/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi David

As you probably saw we decided not to do another RC, which means
2.12.0 will ship with that regression. It will be fixed in 2.12.1. Sorry for
the late communication.

The reason is that building an RC3 would mean having to do yet another
round of bootstrapping all community libraries, as RCs are not binary
compatible. The 2.12.1 release on the other hand we can just do without
an RC, and it's planned for the end of November. So in the end, you'll have
a 2.12 release that includes the fix available roughly at the same time.

Cheers!
Lukas

David Barri

Nov 1, 2016, 7:19:38 AM11/1/16
to scala-internals
No worries Lukas and thanks for letting me know (and letting me know why).
I'll be looking forward to 2.12.1!

And btw, thanks for the awesome work you did on the new optimiser! I'm looking forward to playing around with that.

Cheers, DB