2.12.0-RC1 compile performance regression

Miles Sabin

Sep 12, 2016, 12:01:39 PM9/12/16
to scala-internals
Follow Jason's PR here https://github.com/scala/scala/pull/5395 the
shapeless tests compile with 2.12.0-RC1+ ... thanks!

Unfortunately there's a pretty severe performance regression compiling
the tests,

2.11.8
coreJVM/compile 34s
coreJVM/test:compile 128s

2.12.0-M5
coreJVM/compile 37s
coreJVM/test:compile 183s

2.12.0-RC1 + pr/5395
coreJVM/compile 43s
coreJVM/test:compile 502s

A compile time performance degradation for the shapeless tests
suggests that it's uses of shapeless which will suffer, so projects
downstream from shapeless will bear the brunt.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin
tel: +44 7813 944 528

Jason Zaugg

Sep 13, 2016, 9:08:56 AM9/13/16
to scala-internals
FTR, this is now being investigated over at https://github.com/scala/scala-dev/issues/225

-jason

Miles Sabin

Sep 15, 2016, 10:56:57 AM9/15/16
to scala-internals
After Jason's latest work I'm now seeing,

2.12.0 branch
coreJVM/compile 39s
coreJVM/test:compile 238s

Which is a significant improvement over M5 but still almost twice as
long as 2.11.8.

Cheers,

Miles

Miles Sabin

Sep 15, 2016, 1:06:26 PM9/15/16
to scala-internals
I wrote,

> Which is a significant improvement over M5 but still almost twice as
> long as 2.11.8.

What I meant was "a significant improvement over RC1" ...