Dotty open-sourced

martin odersky

Feb 18, 2014, 1:06:07 PM2/18/14
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com, scala-internals
A couple of days ago we open sourced the Dotty, a research platform for new new language concepts and compiler technologies for Scala.

The idea is to provide a platform where new ideas can be tried out without the stringent backwards compatibility constraints of the regular Scala releases. At the same time this is no "castle-in-the-sky" project. We will look only at technologies that have a very good chance of being beneficial to Scala and its ecosystem.

My goal is that the focus of our research and development efforts lies squarely on simplification. In my opinion, Scala has been very successful in its original goal of unifying OOP and FP. But to get there is has acquired some features that in retrospect turned out to be inessential for the main goal, even if they are useful in some applications. XML literals come to mind, as do existential types. In Dotty we try to identify a much smaller set of core features and will then represent other features by encodings into that core.

Right now, there's a (very early) compiler frontend for a subset of Scala. We'll work on fleshing this out and testing it against more sources (the only large source it was tested on so far is the dotty compiler itself). We'll also work on adding transformation and backend phases to make this into a full compiler.

Cheers

 - Martin

--
Martin Odersky
EPFL and Typesafe

martin odersky

Feb 19, 2014, 4:00:50 AM2/19/14
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com, scala-internals

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:11 AM, Andrés Testi <andres....@gmail.com> wrote:
Congratulations Martin!
Is SIP-12 (Uncluttering Scala’s syntax for control structures) planned for Dotty?

It's not decided yet. Like I wrote before, for the moment the focus is on working out Scala's simple core. Embellishments will come later.

Cheers

 - Martin

Regards.

- Andrés Testi

Martin Odersky
EPFL

Rich Oliver

Feb 19, 2014, 12:49:55 PM2/19/14
to scala-l...@googlegroups.com, scala-internals, martin....@epfl.ch
How does this fit in with the planned / hoped for uniifcation of type parameters and type members? If you can pull that off it would be awesome.

Adriaan Moors

Feb 19, 2014, 1:00:22 PM2/19/14
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Unifying type parameters (and existential types) with type members (at least internally) is one of the key components of type system simplification in Dotty.
That, and uniform union & intersection types (the signatures of the members of `A with B` retain all of the information contributed by A and B,
unlike in Scala, where the concrete member with the most precise type wins)

That said, this is the Scala internals list, so please continue the topic over at dotty-internals -- the (type checker) internals are quite different!

Rich Oliver

Feb 19, 2014, 4:28:59 PM2/19/14
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Wednesday, 19 February 2014 18:00:22 UTC, Adriaan Moors wrote:

That said, this is the Scala internals list, so please continue the topic over at dotty-internals -- the (type checker) internals are quite different!

You response and this post are on the Scala internals list, but my previous post was made on the Scala-language list, where your post doesn't show up. The "What's up with PaulP" thread also carried on across two mailing lists in some kind of weird fashion with some posts on one list and some posts on two lists: Scala-debate and Scala-user in that case.