Scala IDE 4.5-RC1 is out!

Scala IDE

Nov 24, 2016, 7:36:46 AM11/24/16
to scala-ide-dev Dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala-tools, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
We just released the first Release Candidate of Scala IDE 4.5!

This release can be consumed both from the regular update sites, and as a standalone Eclipse distribution.

Read all the details in our release notes. This is a release candidate, so please try it out and let us know if you find problems. If no serious regressions or blockers are found, we will promote this release as a final release.

The Scala IDE team

Rafał Krzewski

Nov 25, 2016, 5:03:28 AM11/25/16
to Scala IDE Dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've took 4.5-RC1 for a spin, but unfortunately something seems to be amiss.

Configuration:

Eclipse Platform 4.6.1.v20160907-1200 (Neon 1)
Scala IDE for Eclipse 4.5.0.rc1-2_11-201611221557-2c71a49
Maven Integration for Scala IDE 0.5.1.201410131304c

I've checked out sources of Apache Spark 2.0.2 and used scala-m2e to import it. Result: gazzilion compilation errors.
I was able to minimize it down to this:
import just two modules that are self contained: common/tags and common/network-common
observe compilation errors in src/test/java: org.apache.spark.network.TestUtils is not found, despite the source file being right there. I've also examined output directory and .class file is found in the expected location. Quick inspection with javap confirms that the class was compiled fine.

Just to make sure, with the following configuration Spark 2.0.2 compiles just fine (I had to generate some sources by running mvn directly and tweak a few build path entries)
Eclipse Platform 4.5.2.v20160212-1500 (Mars 2)
Scala IDE for Eclipse 4.4.1.v-2_11-201605041057-92a3ed3

If I could help with diagnosing this issue further please let me know!
Rafał

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Nov 25, 2016, 6:15:56 AM11/25/16
to Scala IDE User, scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rafal,

before rebuilding projects in existing workspace please remove all .cache- files (in root of project). They are making problems and unexpected errors because Zinc uses slightly different format (first of all new Zinc zips analysis files)

Hope this is the problem
W.

Rafał Krzewski

Nov 25, 2016, 12:49:42 PM11/25/16
to Scala IDE Dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wiesław,

unfortunately no. I created a fresh workspace and scrubbed git working copy with git clean -fdx. I verified that all the .cache-* files were gone. After importing the modules mentioned above into workspace, exactly same errors appeared.

cheers,
Rafał

virtualeyes

Nov 27, 2016, 6:09:39 PM11/27/16
to Scala IDE User, scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
No issues so far with nightly based upgrade, thanks ;-)

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Nov 28, 2016, 9:59:43 AM11/28/16
to Scala IDE User, scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
Could you please, send me some minimal project with this error? Would be very helpful

Rafał Krzewski

Nov 28, 2016, 10:46:14 AM11/28/16
to Scala IDE Dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
As I said above, I'm getting this error in https://github.com/apache/spark
It's sufficient to "Import existing Maven projects" for common/tags and common/network-common modules using scala-m2e
Can you do that, or would you prefer me to rip these out and zip up a sample workspace?

Cheers,
Rafał

Rafał Krzewski

Nov 28, 2016, 6:49:01 PM11/28/16
to Scala IDE Dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've prepared a minimal workspace with en extracted bit of Apache Spark that exhibits a single compilation error. Complete workspace compressed with bzip2 is 8.4MB. https://caltha.eu/~rafal/scala-ide/spark-repro.tar.bz2

cheers,
Rafał

Clint Gilbert

Nov 28, 2016, 7:19:53 PM11/28/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I've been running it today without issues.

On 11/24/2016 07:36 AM, Scala IDE wrote:
> We just released the first Release Candidate of Scala IDE 4.5!
>
> This release can be consumed both from the regular update sites
> <http://scala-ide.org/download/milestone.html>, and as a standalone
> Eclipse distribution <http://scala-ide.org/download/milestone.html>.
>
> Read all the details in our release notes
> <http://scala-ide.org/blog/release-notes-4.5.0-RC1.html>. This is a
> release /candidate/, so please try it out and let us know if you find
> problems. If no serious regressions or blockers are found, we will
> promote this release as a final release.
>
> The Scala IDE team
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scala-ide-user/CAEt_H-%2BaKDUbU7X0_DUKK%2Br634nnHj4u8QDLDyTPRAffXh4DGA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scala-ide-user/CAEt_H-%2BaKDUbU7X0_DUKK%2Br634nnHj4u8QDLDyTPRAffXh4DGA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

signature.asc

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Nov 29, 2016, 9:43:51 AM11/29/16
to Scala IDE User, scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
this is ok for me. Starting digging... thanks

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Nov 30, 2016, 8:19:15 AM11/30/16
to Scala IDE User, scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rafal,

there a bug in on our side (I mean Scala IDE) in integration with Zinc compiler. This is new functionality so can suffer of childish ailment. It does not look serious in fixing so I can make a solemn vow that will be removed in RC2 in the beginning of next week :).

W.

Rafał Krzewski

Nov 30, 2016, 8:38:19 AM11/30/16
to Scala IDE Dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! I'll be happy to test RC2 once it's out :)

Thanks,
Rafał

Rafał Krzewski

Dec 5, 2016, 7:49:18 AM12/5/16
to Scala IDE Dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala...@googlegroups.com, scala-a...@googlegroups.com
For the record, I've tried the nightly build with https://github.com/scala-ide/scala-ide/pull/1131 merged in and I confirm that the problems with importing Apache Spark observed  with RC1 are now fixed.
Thanks,
Rafał

W dniu środa, 30 listopada 2016 14:38:17 UTC+1 użytkownik Rafał Krzewski napisał:
Excellent! I'll be happy to test RC2 once it's out :)

Thanks,
Rafałusi