Formatting on Scala worksheet?

anonygrits

Jun 7, 2016, 2:03:57 AM6/7/16
to Scala IDE User
I just recently updated to the 4.4.1 version, and I've noticed that my worksheets don't do any automatic formatting (like completing the closing parenthesis, etc.)

I can't actually remember if they used to on older versions - for some reason I'm just noticing it now.

Is that something that used to work on older versions? Will it come back (or be added in if it wasn't there before)?

Thx!

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jun 7, 2016, 4:47:52 AM6/7/16
to Scala IDE User
bump

Simon Schäfer

Jun 7, 2016, 7:15:26 AM6/7/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

---- On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 07:13:41 +0200 anonygrits <anony...@gmail.com>wrote ----

I just recently updated to the 4.4.1 version, and I've noticed that my worksheets don't do any automatic formatting (like completing the closing parenthesis, etc.)

I can't actually remember if they used to on older versions - for some reason I'm just noticing it now.

Is that something that used to work on older versions? Will it come back (or be added in if it wasn't there before)?

No, that is not supported and it was never supported.

Thx!

anonygrits

Jun 8, 2016, 5:07:12 AM6/8/16
to Scala IDE User
Ok, thx. At least I know I'm not hallucinating...

anonygrits

Jun 8, 2016, 5:22:26 AM6/8/16
to Scala IDE User
Actually, just out of curiosity - is this on the roadmap? (and if no, why not? again, just curious...)

Simon Schäfer

Jun 8, 2016, 9:26:15 AM6/8/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

---- On Wed, 08 Jun 2016 11:22:26 +0200 anonygrits <anony...@gmail.com>wrote ----

Actually, just out of curiosity - is this on the roadmap? (and if no, why not? again, just curious...)

It is not directly on the roadmap but something that may happen eventually. Historically, the Scala editor was created as an extension to the Java editor because it promised functionality reuse. Over the years it turned out that most features from the Java editor are not good enough for Scala, which meant that we had to reimplement them. At one point the worksheet editor was born, which was intended as a standalone Java independent editor. It reused only the features which we reimplemented for the Scala editor but unfortunately due to lots of tweaks and hacks that were introduced to the Scala editor over the years it wasn't possible to just reuse all of the functionality. Instead functionality was duplicated and adopted to the needs of the worksheet. We have now two editor implementations but we concentrate our efforts for improvements mainly on the Scala editor. Right now I'm working on a new editor implementation that can be used for the Scala editor and for the new sbt editor. Once that work is completed, there are good chances that we can throw away the worksheet editor and just reuse the new uber editor, which would level up the worksheet editor greatly.

anonygrits

Jun 8, 2016, 9:55:12 AM6/8/16
to Scala IDE User
Thanks so much for explaining the strategy and good luck on the uber editor development! We (the users) really appreciate it!!