Scaladoc auto-generation

Nils Kilden-Pedersen

Jun 20, 2015, 1:32:57 AM6/20/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
How do I disable Scaladoc auto-generation when creating a new class?

Simon Schäfer

Jun 20, 2015, 4:13:03 AM6/20/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 06/20/2015 07:32 AM, Nils Kilden-Pedersen wrote:
How do I disable Scaladoc auto-generation when creating a new class?
I don't understand, what do you mean by Scaladoc auto-generation? What exactly do you see/What exactly happens?

iulian dragos

Jun 20, 2015, 3:52:40 PM6/20/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
There's a template for each class/trait/object wizard. If you go to Preferences/Editor/Templates you will see a number of templates starting with `wizard_`. Edit them to remove the scaladoc.

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

Nils Kilden-Pedersen

Mirco Dotta

Jun 22, 2015, 11:13:27 AM6/22/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala-...@googlegroups.com
I was also extremely annoyed by them (until I turned them off), and I believe this is something relatively new (it was introduced in 4.0, wasn’t it?).

Personally, I’d vote for disabling these new template wizards and restore the pre-4.0 behaviour. Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the template wizards are not useful. I’m sure they are, but I personally don’t need them. Furthermore, if I’d need them, I’d change the generated text , which is why I think having the template wizard disabled is a sensible default (as it would be easy to enable the feature while editing the generated text).

If there is consensus, I can provide the PR (should be a super easy one ;-)).

— Mirco
----------------
Mirco Dotta - @mircodotta

Typesafe – Build reactive apps!

signature.asc

Simon Schäfer

Jun 22, 2015, 11:55:58 AM6/22/15

On 06/22/2015 05:13 PM, Mirco Dotta wrote:
I was also extremely annoyed by them (until I turned them off), and I believe this is something relatively new (it was introduced in 4.0, wasn’t it?).

Personally, I’d vote for disabling these new template wizards and restore the pre-4.0 behaviour. Please, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the template wizards are not useful. I’m sure they are, but I personally don’t need them. Furthermore, if I’d need them, I’d change the generated text , which is why I think having the template wizard disabled is a sensible default (as it would be easy to enable the feature while editing the generated text).
If you think it is better default behavior to not automatically generate the Scaladoc comments at the top, feel free to send a PR that removes them from the templates. I'm not in favor of anything here, given that I don't have any data about what people want (beside from some people complaining that they don't want these comments). What you mean by "I don't need them" is not clear to me because they are not doing anything beside from generating a small snippet of code, which you can freely edit anyway.

Mirco Dotta

Jun 22, 2015, 3:49:56 PM6/22/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala-i...@googlegroups.com

----------------

On 22 Jun 2015, at 17:55, Simon Schäfer <ma...@antoras.de> wrote:

[...]

True, I also have no real data but myself :-) However, also the JDT doesn’t inject any javadoc when creating a new source (this doesn’t really add match to my argument, but I thought it could be useful to point it out).

What you mean by "I don't need them" is not clear to me because they are not doing anything beside from generating a small snippet of code, which you can freely edit anyway.

Right, but I need to edit them every time, which clearly bothers me. The solution is disabling them, which I can do if I know the option exist. The reason why I’m suggesting disabling it by default is because I’m afraid many would not easily find out how to disable the feature, causing quite a bit of frustration to the ones that really do not want to have the extra comments added to every new source file.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Scala IDE Dev" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scala-ide-dev/5588300B.5050303%40antoras.de.
signature.asc

Simon Schäfer

Jun 27, 2015, 12:55:20 PM6/27/15