System.err - SLF4J: Failed to load class

Colin Bester

Jan 15, 2016, 7:42:43 AM1/15/16
to Scala IDE User
Was trying to capture scala-ide logs to hunt down slowness of workspace build when I noticed error "failing to load class org.slf4j.impl,StaticLoggerBinder ..." in the scala-ide.log file even though these files are added in dependency.

I then created a extremely skinny maven project (using mvn archetype) with no dependencies, closed all other projects in my workspace. Cleared the log file, shutdown scala-ide and restarted it, only to see the errors again in the log file.

2016-01-15 06:25:59,248 ERROR [Worker-1] - System.err - SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder".
2016-01-15 06:25:59,248 ERROR [Worker-1] - System.err - SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation
2016-01-15 06:25:59,248 ERROR [Worker-1] - System.err - SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details.

My pom.xml is really simple:

<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd">

<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>

<groupId>com.besterdesign</groupId>

<artifactId>test-mvn</artifactId>

<version>1.0.0</version>

<name>${project.artifactId}</name>

<description>My wonderfull scala app</description>

<inceptionYear>2010</inceptionYear>

<licenses>

<license>

<name>My License</name>

<url>http://....</url>

<distribution>repo</distribution>

</license>

</licenses>
</project>

This leads me to believe that the error is IDE related and not to my project.

If I close all projects and shutdown IDE and re-start IDE then I don't see any errors in log files which seems to contradict with above but may be unrelated to my actual project settings and still be IDE setup related.

I've attached zipped maven project for reference.

test-mvn.zip

Simon Schäfer

Jan 15, 2016, 11:05:09 AM1/15/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 01/15/2016 01:42 PM, Colin Bester wrote:
[...]

The attached project actually is broken. It refers to java source folders, which do not exist (not to mention that no Scala config is specified in maven). Adding the Scala ones was easy but I wonder if it makes a difference to your setup. The error looks indeed like it comes from scala-ide but I can't reproduce that on my system. Very likely it doesn't matter anyway since it is only an error in the logger setup.

[...]

Colin Bester

Jan 15, 2016, 12:20:02 PM1/15/16
to Scala IDE User
Correct, the project was as skinny as I could get it - here is full pom.xml with same symptoms. I agree it's not a fatal error (even though it displays as ERROR and not WARNING). This pom compiles and I can execute App.scala via ide's run as command.
test-mvn-full.zip

Simon Schäfer

Jan 15, 2016, 12:42:24 PM1/15/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 01/15/2016 06:20 PM, Colin Bester wrote:
Correct, the project was as skinny as I could get it - here is full pom.xml with same symptoms. I agree it's not a fatal error (even though it displays as ERROR and not WARNING). This pom compiles and I can execute App.scala via ide's run as command.
I can't reproduce with that project either. I wonder why an error is shown at all, since the logger seems to work fine. Anyway, since it doesn't block you and since I don't know how to fix this, I'm going to ignore it. ;)