Random high CPU and intermittent crashes on Mac

Kiran Kumar Joseph

May 22, 2015, 3:01:26 PM5/22/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am new to scala and scala IDE.
The performance is pathetic compared to IntelliJ plugin that my colleagues are using.
I am using in it in conjunction with git.
If I do a git branch switch from command line, sometime the IDE loads up CPU and eventually crahes.

Not only this, multiple other scenarios in which CPU gets revved without any reason.

Any suggestions on settings that more memory which can alleviate this?

Kiran

OS:
Darwin 14.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.1.0: Mon Dec 22 23:10:38 PST 2014; root:xnu-2782.10.72~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Eclipse :
Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.
Version: Luna Service Release 1 (4.4.1)
Build id: 20140925-1800

Scala IDE for Eclipse Source    4.0.0.v-2_11-201503031937-b2bbad6    org.scala-ide.sdt.source.feature.feature.group    scala-ide.org

Simon Schäfer

May 22, 2015, 4:10:50 PM5/22/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 05/22/2015 07:14 PM, Kiran Kumar Joseph wrote:
Hi,

I am new to scala and scala IDE.
The performance is pathetic compared to IntelliJ plugin that my colleagues are using.
I am using in it in conjunction with git.
If I do a git branch switch from command line, sometime the IDE loads up CPU and eventually crahes.

Not only this, multiple other scenarios in which CPU gets revved without any reason.

Any suggestions on settings that more memory which can alleviate this?
See this section in the docs: http://scala-ide.org/docs/current-user-doc/advancedsetup/index.html#Eclipse_Configuration

Actually I would increase -Xmx even further, say 3G, to be on the safe side in any case.

Kiran

OS:
Darwin 14.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 14.1.0: Mon Dec 22 23:10:38 PST 2014; root:xnu-2782.10.72~2/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Eclipse :
Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.
Version: Luna Service Release 1 (4.4.1)
Build id: 20140925-1800

Scala IDE for Eclipse Source    4.0.0.v-2_11-201503031937-b2bbad6    org.scala-ide.sdt.source.feature.feature.group    scala-ide.org

iulian dragos

May 23, 2015, 5:38:26 AM5/23/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
A couple other things:

- If the UI thread is blocked while the CPU is pegged at 100% you should install Svelto and show us the thread dumps
- Try out the Eclipse bundle SDK instead of installing the plugin on top of your existing Eclipse (some plugin interaction or configuration might be at fault)

The plugin definitely benefits from more memory. I use 2Gb and run on Java 8.

One known offender is "Java Breadcrumb View", so turn that off if you notice slowdowns. Another one is the Scala compiler itself. Sometimes type-inference or implicit resolution is extremely costly (Slick projects exhibit that often, I imagine shapeless would get you there as well). This would manifest by being slow/high CPU usage only when certain files are open.

iulian

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

Scott Carey

May 27, 2015, 2:17:11 PM5/27/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Disconnect git from your projects.  Configure git in eclipse to not auto-detect git projects and enable itself.

SCM plugins used in conjunction (git or svn) basically make Scala IDE unusable for me.

I use the command line for source control most of the time anyway.   The IDE git tooling will still work for browsing repos and such, but it won't decorate the tree of files / directories, show the status of individual items, or offer any ability to commit / checkout / etc.