Scala Presentation Compiler Crashing Eclipse Mid-typing

virtualeyes

Aug 8, 2016, 12:35:41 PM8/8/16
to Scala IDE User
Started happening a week or so ago. On latest nightly here, Eclipse Neon.

Core dump attached.

No idea what the cause is beyond there being an issue with the Scala Presentation compiler and "TypingDelayHelper".

Kind of a show stopper as this is now happening 5 or more times per day \:

Workarounds, clues, suggestions, etc. appreciated.

Thanks
hs_err_pid20526.log

Simon Schäfer

Aug 8, 2016, 12:41:38 PM8/8/16
to scala-ide-user
This is a JVM crash. I'm afraid there is nothing we can do here. The real fix is to solve this problem in the JVM. The only thing that would be possible for us is to locate the Scala code that leads to the crash but I doubt that it is easy to find that code.

You could try out a Oracle JVM or downgrade to an older version of the OpenJDK, which may not have this problem.

---- On Mon, 08 Aug 2016 18:35:40 +0200 virtualeyes <sit...@gmail.com> wrote ----

virtualeyes

Aug 8, 2016, 12:51:04 PM8/8/16
to Scala IDE User
Thanks, not sure why this started happening last week and not a month ago when I upgraded Eclipse to Neon.

Might have nothing to do with it but I noticed that typing delay in Scala > Run Setup Diagnostics was set to 0ms. I changed it to 500ms, which is usually the default.

Unfortunately I intentionally moved away from Oracle JVM for local devel. Will switch back if this keeps up, but would prefer to use Open JDK if possible.

iulian dragos

Aug 8, 2016, 3:00:33 PM8/8/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
It looks like the crash happens in the native zip library, while opening a jar. I can't tell which jar it is, but you might be able to tell by loading the coredump in gdb. Did you add a new dependency (or upgraded one) a week ago?

iulian

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scala-ide-user/94c880e7-dabf-49fb-be3c-90d8f7de83ed%40googlegroups.com.

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

virtualeyes

Aug 8, 2016, 4:23:42 PM8/8/16
to Scala IDE User
Iulian, thanks for the lead.

re: deps, nothing has changed short of the version of Scala IDE nightly (which I upgraded a couple of days ago as an attempted fix).

I do, however, work with locally published jars on the affected project, so maybe the crash is happening wrt to sbt target class files and local ivy cache being out of sync.

Will see if I can get gbd to shed some light on the situation...

virtualeyes

Aug 11, 2016, 2:20:12 PM8/11/16
to Scala IDE User
For anyone else that runs into this issue, it's a bug in Open JDK, one that will be resolved in Java 9.

Until then the workaround is to append
-Dsun.zip.disableMemoryMapping=true

to eclipse startup...

Francois

Aug 14, 2016, 4:54:41 PM8/14/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
It is something that routinely happens when two processes are reading and updating a jar (for example, you started your Scala IDE, it reads jars and maps them into memory, and then something upate the jars, like a dependency manager, without telling Eclipse that it must re-read them).

I have that quite frequently when a build is running, and for some reason I run in console "maven something" (dependency:resolve for ex), and it changes a jar (redownload a broken one, update a snapshot, etc).

It's extremelly frustrating, but now when I'm seing a JVM crash in libzip, I wonder "ok, what was changing jars during my build?"

Hope it helps,

virtualeyes

Aug 17, 2016, 9:56:39 PM8/17/16
to Scala IDE User
Thanks, Eclipse only started crashing regularly once I switched from Oracle to Open JDK.

FWIW, the referenced flag appended to startup delays crash from occurring but does not prevent it, unfortunately.