dark eclipse color themes

danny

Mar 28, 2012, 5:42:33 AM3/28/12
to Scala IDE User
Hi

Any one got dark eclipse color themes for Scala using
eclipsecolorthemes.org or any other way?

Thanks
Danny

virtualeyes

Mar 28, 2012, 11:13:31 AM3/28/12
to Scala IDE User
Oh yeah, Wombat on black background is very nice ;-)

m e

Mar 28, 2012, 1:04:46 PM3/28/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
yep but it does not work with Scala

virtualeyes

Mar 29, 2012, 4:52:00 AM3/29/12
to Scala IDE User
I am, BTW, using SpringSource Tool Suite, not straight Eclipse.

Shouldn't make a difference though, STS wraps Eclipse.

When I installed Scala IDE my Wombat theme was preserved, nothing
affected.

I'd keep trying, not having desired look & feel is a major drag when
you spend most of your day looking at your IDE; that's why I never
bothered with IntelliJ, on Linux, a hideous sight to behold....

William Harvey

Mar 29, 2012, 8:49:51 AM3/29/12
to Scala IDE User
I've been using Wombat on a dark background using the Eclipse Color
Theme plugin available here:

https://github.com/eclipse-color-theme/eclipse-color-theme

-William

noncom

Apr 3, 2012, 5:26:22 AM4/3/12
to Scala IDE User
I have set up a very nice theme in Eclipse -> Window -> Preferences ->
Scala -> Syntax Coloring. Here are the settings, try them out!

Background is made black by using NightLion theme from Eclipse Themes,
then:

Brackets 0, 255, 0, Bold, Italic
Keywords 189, 149, 255, Bold
String/Multiline String 255, 128, 128, Italic
Operator 192, 192, 208, Bold
Others 152, 214, 10

My primary aim was to make an as less eye-hurting scheme as possible.
However, I have found out that this same theme differs in look on my
home notebook and on my work computer. Being created on notebook, it
looked eye-blasting on my work computer monitor, so I have adjusted it
a little so that it is experienced the nicest. When you tune your
theme, +/- 2 or 3 units on a scale may make serious difference. Fine-
tuning is the key here.

virtualeyes

Apr 3, 2012, 10:23:20 AM4/3/12
to Scala IDE User
@noncom, totally sick bro, thanks for the tip! (sorry, I surf, we b
dumb)

I'm sticking with Wombat on straight black, but tweaking the crucial
"Others" setting to get something that pops just a hare more than the
default (too bad that "Others" is in fact practically everything,
would be nice to have some more differentiation)

Anyway, I would agree, at all costs, avoid "eye-blasting" themes,
lol ;-)

On Apr 3, 11:26 am, noncom <alex.murat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have set up a very nice theme in Eclipse -> Window -> Preferences ->
> Scala -> Syntax Coloring. Here are the settings, try them out!
>
> Background is made black by using NightLion theme from Eclipse Themes,
> then:
>
> Brackets 0, 255, 0, Bold, Italic
> Keywords 189, 149, 255, Bold
> String/Multiline String 255, 128, 128, Italic
> Operator 192, 192, 208, Bold
> Others 152, 214, 10
>
> My primary aim was to make an as less eye-hurting scheme as possible.
> However, I have found out that this same theme differs in look on my
> home notebook and on my work computer. Being created on notebook, it
> looked eye-blasting on my work computer monitor, so I have adjusted it
> a little so that it is experienced the nicest. When you tune your
> theme, +/- 2 or 3 units on a scale may make serious difference. Fine-
> tuning is the key here.

iulian dragos

Apr 3, 2012, 10:36:49 AM4/3/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Sounds exciting. Can you guys post a screenshot to make up my mind?  :)

thanks,
iulian
--
« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

iulian dragos

Apr 12, 2012, 7:49:13 AM4/12/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Looks great!

I wonder if there was a way to share these themes easier. ColorTheme handles the basics, but Scala-specific highlighting works only through import/export preferences. Would be really nice to have Scala color themes that can be easily shared!

iulian
PS. I attach a screenshot with my solarized-light tweaked theme. ;-)

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:00 PM, virtualeyes <sit...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sure, happy to remove the mountain and show you this lovely Wombat
countryside we have here down in SW France ;-)

http://66.111.47.103/Wombat-Screenshot.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-12 at 1.48.26 PM.png

Dmitry Grigoriev

Apr 14, 2012, 3:47:13 PM4/14/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On 04/12/2012 03:49 PM, iulian dragos wrote:
> PS. I attach a screenshot with my solarized-light tweaked theme. ;-)
And I'll provide a link for mine, inspired by topic starter but a little
smoother. There's not just Eclipse, it's KDE 4.8.1 with Workspace
Appearance / Oxygen and Application Appearance / Wonton Soup:
http://dimgel.ru/images/snapshot-dark-eclipse.png

P.S. I also fell in love with Firefox's Stylish plugin, now all my
favorite sites are same-dark. :) And even created specific maven skin
for my projects, press "night colors on/off" link at the top-right
corner here:
http://dimgel.ru/projects/lib.cache/current/documentation.en.html (don't
take it for ad :-P )

--
All best wishes,
Dmitry Grigoriev

Ben Hutchison

Apr 25, 2012, 9:04:08 PM4/25/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I would truly love to turn down the brightness of my Eclipse screen,
but last time I tried color themes, it only affected the editor. The
project explorer, outline, menu bars etc remained white/light-grey.

Is this still the case? If so, is there any work going on to make the
rest of the Eclipse UI theme-able?

-Ben

Mirko Stocker

Apr 26, 2012, 1:33:26 AM4/26/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 03:04, Ben Hutchison <brhut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would truly love to turn down the brightness of my Eclipse screen,
> but last time I tried color themes, it only affected the editor. The
> project explorer, outline, menu bars etc remained white/light-grey.
>
> Is this still the case? If so, is there any work going on to make the
> rest of the Eclipse UI theme-able?

Yes that's still the case. It might change with Eclipse 4 (this
summer), where the UI is customizable via CSS. Here are some examples:
http://www.toedter.com/blog/?p=690

Cheers,

Mirko

--
Mirko Stocker | m...@misto.ch
Work: http://ifs.hsr.ch | http://infoq.com

Harshad RJ

Apr 26, 2012, 9:05:40 AM4/26/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, 26 April 2012 06:34:08 UTC+5:30, Ben Hutchison wrote:
I would truly love to turn down the brightness of my Eclipse screen,
but last time I tried color themes, it only affected the editor. The
project explorer, outline, menu bars etc remained white/light-grey.

Is this still the case? If so, is there any work going on to make the
rest of the Eclipse UI theme-able?

Here is a general solution that might be useful for some of you.

While coding at night, I find the white background a bit too stressful on my eyes. My linux system, based on Ubuntu, has something called compiz. Among other things, compiz has a color-filter effect. You can easily create a reddish looking filter which is less stressful on the eyes at night.

The filter files are configured using a simple text file. I found a ready-made filter file somewhere on the web which I tweaked so that some other colors also show through. My custom version is here:
https://gist.github.com/42e4c4dba6a9a595d473

The entire screen can be toggled to use the filter using keyboard shortcuts. You can toggle it individually for every window as well.

This has significantly reduce the stress on my eyes at night.

Christopher Svanefalk

Apr 26, 2012, 10:15:15 AM4/26/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I hear Cyan is very nice on the eyes as well: #E0FFFF
--
Best,

Christopher Svanefalk

Harshad RJ

Apr 26, 2012, 12:38:00 PM4/26/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:45 PM, Christopher Svanefalk <christophe...@gmail.com> wrote:
I hear Cyan is very nice on the eyes as well: #E0FFFF

I am no expert, but I have read up a bit on the subject. At night our eyes are very sensitive to blue light, followed by green and least by red. That is the reason why astronomers use red light when at the telescope; it doesn't affect their dark adaptation much. The amount of blue light at night also affects our circadian rhythms. It's best to keep blue and green lights to a minimum at night.

--
Harshad RJ
http://lavadip.com

virtualeyes

May 2, 2012, 5:01:36 AM5/2/12
to Scala IDE User
Compiz changed my life, or at least made my life as a developer much
better ;-)

Hesitant to upgrade from Fedora 14 to latest as I believe Gnome 3
ruins everything in a Gnome 2 + Compiz setup...

For me black is the new white; only when testing web pages, looking at
photos, etc. do I view in normal white background mode; otherwise, the
deep black void is king...

Alec Taylor

Aug 26, 2013, 6:20:44 AM8/26/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Would be great to get a default syntax coloring… anyway, here is my attempt, trying to copy from Sublime Text:

Keywords (excluding 'return'): RGB(249,38,104)
Keyword 'return': RGB(249,38,104)
All vars, vals, defs and their lazy equivs: RGB(166,226,46)
Template vars and args: RGB(253,131,32)

virtualeyes

Aug 31, 2013, 7:52:24 PM8/31/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I've dropped the dark theme route, instead am going with a light theme and inverting screen color with linux package xcalib, tiny, around a 100KB I believe

What's nice about this solution is that the entire screen is inverted so no glaring white borders at all ;-)

On Monday, April 1, 2013 8:41:25 PM UTC-4, Omar Cherif wrote:
I've spent few hours looking for a nice solution to make my eclipse UI dark, and I have finally found a way to do it. I am using Fedora 18 and Eclipse for PHP Developers (PDT v3.0.2).

The nicest solution is to download DeLorean Dark Theme then enabling it in Gnome Shell.

Installation procedure:

   1. Download DeLorean-Dark-Theme-3.6 vs.2.56 from http://browse.deviantart.com/art/DeLorean-Dark-Theme-3-6-vs-2-56-328859335
   2. Unzip the archive, and copy the delorean-dark-theme-3.6 folder to /usr/share/themes/
   3. Open Gnome Tweak Tool Enable the freshly installed theme from Theme > Gtk+ Theme (If gnome-tweak-tool isn't installed, install it using yum install gnome-tweak-tool, then F2 or launch it from the terminal)
   4. Reload Gnome Shell by hitting F2, then typing 'r'
   5. Open Eclipse PDT and enjoy the new look

I highly recommend you to pick one of the nice code coloring themes from eclipsecolorthemes.org
I am using a slightly modified version of the Oblivion theme by Roger Dudler

Here is what it looks like: http://i.stack.imgur.com/Xx7m6.png

This procedure is for Eclipse PHP and Aptana 3. If you are using Eclipse 4 and higher, I recommend DeLorean Dark Theme for eclipse: http:// goo.gl/wkjj8

Harshad RJ

Sep 1, 2013, 12:04:43 AM9/1/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
xcalib looks interesting, especially because the compiz filters are broken in recent Ubuntu releases.

Can you please share your xcalib configuration? I am able to get a pure red screen easily with xcalib, but I would prefer a reddish screen (with green and blue filtered down by say 50%)

Harshad RJ

virtualeyes

Sep 13, 2013, 4:24:15 AM9/13/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Compiz? Please give i3 WM a look, Compiz is completely pointless in comparison.

I used Compiz for screen inversion, screen shots, window management, and some other edge case functionality.

i3 + xcalib provides unbelievable window management + screen inversion (conky is great for system status dock/taskbar)

re: xcalib config, I've done nothing, straight up screen inversion is all I require; here's my ~/.xbindkeysrc for dual monitor setup.
# invert screen 0
"xcalib -i -a -s 0"
  m:0x8 + c:32
    Alt + o

# invert screen 1
"xcalib -i -a -s 1"
  m:0x8 + c:31
    Alt + i

so, alt-o inverts screen 0, and alt-i inverts screen 1

Since I like all my screens inverted by default I have i3 set screens to black on system startup

Good luck.

Harshad RJ

Sep 14, 2013, 6:41:29 AM9/14/13
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tip for i3 WM, will give it a try someday.

Meanwhile, I was able to figure out the incantation for my needs (red tinted look):

xcalib -clear && xcalib -green 1 1 50 -blue 1 1 50 -alter

The 50 is the percentage of how much you would like the color to pass through. If you want only 20% of green and blue to show through, you can use:

xcalib -clear && xcalib -green 1 1 20 -blue 1 1 20 -alter

To reset everything to original display one can use:

xcalib -clear

R Krishna

May 11, 2016, 1:07:31 AM5/11/16
to Scala IDE User
Any update to a decent eclipse scala color themes that does a good job of syntax highlighting?

http://eclipsecolorthemes.org/?view=theme&id=2075 is down this week and I can't find a single decent theme for scala and java.

Simon Schäfer

May 11, 2016, 6:30:31 AM5/11/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 05/11/2016 02:36 AM, R Krishna wrote:
Any update to a decent eclipse scala color themes that does a good job of syntax highlighting?

http://eclipsecolorthemes.org/?view=theme&id=2075 is down this week and I can't find a single decent theme for scala and java.
I don't know what you understand by a decent theme but if the color themes plugin doesn't provide a theme that you like you have to build one by yourself (I'm surprised that there isn't a single one that you like since they have themes of all variations).
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Scala IDE User" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scala-ide-user/be3b5c3e-0aec-4f7e-aa50-ecf69d1716bf%40googlegroups.com.

R Krishna

Jul 22, 2016, 12:48:32 AM7/22/16
to Scala IDE User
What if it is down for a year? The only thing I found after searching was:
https://github.com/chriskempson/tomorrow-theme/blob/master/Eclipse/Tomorrow-Night.epf

If somone could export their preference file from Eclipse: http://eclipsecolorthemes.org/?view=theme&id=2075 and share it, it would make everyone's day!