Future of Scala in Eclipse

lw

Nov 22, 2016, 4:25:49 PM11/22/16
to Scala IDE User
I am currently looking into using Scala to develop Eclipse plugins. However, after reading https://www.reddit.com/r/scala/comments/52w7n8/future_of_scala_ide_would_you_like_to_see_an/ I got the impression that the Eclipse based ScalaIDE won't be continued/maintained after Scala 2.12. Is my impression correct? Is there already a timeline for dropping Eclipse?

Thanks!

Simon Schäfer

Nov 22, 2016, 5:53:05 PM11/22/16
to scala-ide-user

---- On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 19:45:09 +0100lw <lutz....@gmail.com> wrote ----

I am currently looking into using Scala to develop Eclipse plugins. However, after reading https://www.reddit.com/r/scala/comments/52w7n8/future_of_scala_ide_would_you_like_to_see_an/ I got the impression that the Eclipse based ScalaIDE won't be continued/maintained after Scala 2.12. Is my impression correct? Is there already a timeline for dropping Eclipse?

No, there is no timeline for dropping Eclipse. In fact, so far there was no decision in dropping Eclipse but to continue to support it. Therefore, 2.12 support won't be the last supported version of Scala.

Thanks!

Clint Gilbert

Nov 22, 2016, 6:04:48 PM11/22/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
That's great news! I read that thread when it was first posted, and
came away concerned that future releases would lack important features
if ScalaIDE moved to VSCode (or whatever).

I hope ScalaIDE stays around in the form of a full-featured IDE for a
long time. It would be bad for Scala developers if we ended up with an
IDE monoculture.

On 11/22/2016 05:52 PM, Simon Schäfer wrote:

> ---- On Sun, 20 Nov 2016 19:45:09 +0100*lw <lutz....@gmail.com>* wrote
> ----
>
> I am currently looking into using Scala to develop Eclipse plugins.
> However, after reading
> https://www.reddit.com/r/scala/comments/52w7n8/future_of_scala_ide_would_you_like_to_see_an/
> I got the impression that the Eclipse based ScalaIDE won't be
> continued/maintained after Scala 2.12. Is my impression correct? Is
> there already a timeline for dropping Eclipse?
>

> No, there is no timeline for dropping Eclipse. In fact, so far there was
> no decision in dropping Eclipse but to continue to support it.
> Therefore, 2.12 support won't be the last supported version of Scala.
>

> Thanks!
>

> --
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scala-ide-user/1588e3e03b4.c39a1cb4345775.7719154718069393991%40antoras.de