launching of junit test unexpectedly failed - scala ide 4.1

Niels Boldt

Jul 20, 2015, 4:49:44 AM7/20/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I have a play framework 2.3.x project and using scala ide 4.1 as editor

I normally launch specs2 test from within the ide using the junit runner, but it suddenly stopped working. My test are annotated like

@RunWith(classOf[JUnitRunner])
class EmailTrackingControllerSpec extends Specification with ConversionHelper with Mockito with JodaHelper { ...

I now get an error message like

"Launching of junit unexpectedly failed. Check log for details. See error log for details"

(See screen dump below)

This happens when I either use shift + alt + t, d to launch or by following the right click menu "debug as -> scala junit test"

If I manually configure the test by choosing the right runner in "debug as -> Debug configurations" the test runs. When using "scala junit 4" as runner everything is as expected

So the problem seems to be that the wrong runner is choosen as default. I can't figure out how to change the default runner and it is quite tedious for me that I can't use the shortcuts for starting a test. Any suggestions to how this problem can be fixed

Thanks
Niels

Inline image 1

--
BinaryConstructors ApS
Vestergade 10a, 4th

Simon Schäfer

Jul 20, 2015, 5:25:58 AM7/20/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 07/14/2015 09:27 AM, Niels Boldt wrote:
Hi All

I have a play framework 2.3.x project and using scala ide 4.1 as editor
So, it did break after you updated to the 4.1 version of the IDE?

I normally launch specs2 test from within the ide using the junit runner, but it suddenly stopped working. My test are annotated like

@RunWith(classOf[JUnitRunner])
class EmailTrackingControllerSpec extends Specification with ConversionHelper with Mockito with JodaHelper { ...

I now get an error message like

"Launching of junit unexpectedly failed. Check log for details. See error log for details"
There is a stack trace shown in the log, but that seems unrelated. What is that one about, can you show the full stack trace?

Also, is there nothing shown in the error log view (Window > Show View > Other > Error Log)?

[...]

Niels Boldt

Jul 20, 2015, 3:09:41 PM7/20/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

I have a play framework 2.3.x project and using scala ide 4.1 as editor
So, it did break after you updated to the 4.1 version of the IDE?

No, I also had the same error in the 4.0 version of the IDE

I normally launch specs2 test from within the ide using the junit runner, but it suddenly stopped working. My test are annotated like

@RunWith(classOf[JUnitRunner])
class EmailTrackingControllerSpec extends Specification with ConversionHelper with Mockito with JodaHelper { ...

I now get an error message like

"Launching of junit unexpectedly failed. Check log for details. See error log for details"
There is a stack trace shown in the log, but that seems unrelated. What is that one about, can you show the full stack trace?

Also, is there nothing shown in the error log view (Window > Show View > Other > Error Log)?

I found this error in the above mentioned log

eclipse.buildId=4.1.0-vfinal-20150704-2326-Typesafe
java.version=1.8.0_40
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=da_DK
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

org.eclipse.jdt.junit
Error
Mon Jul 20 21:05:22 CEST 2015
Error

at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:423)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow$13.run(WorkbenchWindow.java:2157)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.run(WorkbenchWindow.java:2153)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.util.TestSearchEngine.findTests(TestSearchEngine.java:47)
at org.eclipse.jdt.junit.launcher.JUnitLaunchShortcut.findTypesToLaunch(JUnitLaunchShortcut.java:213)
at org.eclipse.jdt.junit.launcher.JUnitLaunchShortcut.findTypeToLaunch(JUnitLaunchShortcut.java:202)
at org.eclipse.jdt.junit.launcher.JUnitLaunchShortcut.launch(JUnitLaunchShortcut.java:178)
at org.eclipse.jdt.junit.launcher.JUnitLaunchShortcut.launch(JUnitLaunchShortcut.java:109)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchShortcutExtension.launch(LaunchShortcutExtension.java:420)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.actions.LaunchShortcutAction.run(LaunchShortcutAction.java:71)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.actions.LaunchShortcutAction.runWithEvent(LaunchShortcutAction.java:123)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:595)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:511)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:420)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4353)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1061)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1085)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1070)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:782)
at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$9.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:1293)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4353)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1061)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4172)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3761)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1151)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1032)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:148)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:636)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:579)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:135)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:380)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:235)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:648)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:603)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1465)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.buildMethods(ClassScope.java:324)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.buildFieldsAndMethods(ClassScope.java:180)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.buildFieldsAndMethods(ClassScope.java:191)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.CompilationUnitScope.buildFieldsAndMethods(CompilationUnitScope.java:84)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.completeTypeBindings(LookupEnvironment.java:295)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyResolver.accept(HierarchyResolver.java:166)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.askForType(LookupEnvironment.java:178)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.PackageBinding.getTypeOrPackage(PackageBinding.java:201)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.Scope.getPackage(Scope.java:2981)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.QualifiedTypeReference.getTypeBinding(QualifiedTypeReference.java:97)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeReference.internalResolveType(TypeReference.java:472)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeReference.resolveType(TypeReference.java:571)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeReference.resolveType(TypeReference.java:567)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.ast.TypeReference.resolveSuperType(TypeReference.java:541)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.findSupertype(ClassScope.java:1292)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.connectSuperInterfaces(ClassScope.java:1038)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.connectTypeHierarchy(ClassScope.java:1096)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.CompilationUnitScope.connectTypeHierarchy(CompilationUnitScope.java:323)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.completeTypeBindings(LookupEnvironment.java:317)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyResolver.resolve(HierarchyResolver.java:816)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.RegionBasedHierarchyBuilder.createTypeHierarchyBasedOnRegion(RegionBasedHierarchyBuilder.java:91)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.RegionBasedHierarchyBuilder.build(RegionBasedHierarchyBuilder.java:60)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.RegionBasedTypeHierarchy.compute(RegionBasedTypeHierarchy.java:98)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.TypeHierarchy.refresh(TypeHierarchy.java:1268)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CreateTypeHierarchyOperation.executeOperation(CreateTypeHierarchyOperation.java:90)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.run(JavaModelOperation.java:729)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.runOperation(JavaModelOperation.java:789)
at org.eclipse.jdt.core.JavaCore.newTypeHierarchy(JavaCore.java:4509)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.launcher.JUnit4TestFinder.findTestsInContainer(JUnit4TestFinder.java:128)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.util.TestSearchEngine$1.run(TestSearchEngine.java:41)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:122)
Root exception:
java.lang.NullPointerException
[...]

Simon Schäfer

Jul 20, 2015, 7:05:08 PM7/20/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 07/20/2015 09:09 PM, Niels Boldt wrote:

> I found this error in the above mentioned log
Did you run Java JUnit test or Scala JUnit test? Does it make a
difference it you choose one or the other?

Niels Boldt

Jul 21, 2015, 3:33:41 AM7/21/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

I found this error in the above mentioned log
Did you run Java JUnit test or Scala JUnit test? Does it make a difference it you choose one or the other?

I did run Scala JUnit test, but it does not make a difference. If I choose "Junit test" it fails with the same error

Thanks
Niels

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jul 21, 2015, 4:47:24 AM7/21/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Niels,

let me check it as well. Btw if you could check your settings in:
Window -> Preferencies -> Run/Debug -> Launching -> Default Launchers - now select Junit [Debug] in right pane then you should see on right most next pane 'Preferred Launcher' with two launchers to choose: Eclipse JUnit Launcher and Scala JUnit (new debugger) Launcher

The second should be ticked as selected if any

Hope it helps
W.

Niels Boldt

Jul 21, 2015, 7:45:24 AM7/21/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi

let me check it as well. Btw if you could check your settings in:
Window -> Preferencies -> Run/Debug -> Launching -> Default Launchers - now select Junit [Debug] in right pane then you should see on right most next pane 'Preferred Launcher' with two launchers to choose: Eclipse JUnit Launcher and Scala JUnit (new debugger) Launcher

I'm not able to select Junit in the right Pane, see attached screenshot below. I only have "Scala Application"

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jul 22, 2015, 3:47:18 AM7/22/15
to Scala IDE User
Strange, because Scala Application Launcher does not recognize JUnit files... Something strange is with your scala ide or mine has got unofficial upgrades :). Checking...

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jul 22, 2015, 5:21:12 AM7/22/15
to Scala IDE User
Verified and unfortunately you are right. There is no Scala JUnit Launcher in default launchers for stable 4.1.0. Only nightly version gets it. So you could try to add update site to your Eclipse pointing on nightly scala ide builds: http://download.scala-ide.org/nightly-scala-ide-luna-211x and run the check for updates.

iulian dragos

Jul 22, 2015, 12:13:32 PM7/22/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
The stack trace is purely Java, and that's not right. It should go through the Scala launcher, and it's normal that the Java one does not "understand" Scala code. The question is why it doesn't go through the Scala launch detector...

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

Niels Boldt

Jul 22, 2015, 4:30:53 PM7/22/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I did run the check for updates and installed the updates, now I got a scala launcher and selected the scala one, like( see image below ), but I still get the same error when trying to launch the test

Thanks
Niels

Inline image 1

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jul 23, 2015, 3:46:10 AM7/23/15
to Scala IDE User
Just to be sure. Did you removed previous configuration of this test from 'Debug configuration'? I mean when you run a test it creates its configuration so it needs to be removed if exists.

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jul 23, 2015, 6:43:08 AM7/23/15
to Scala IDE User
I tried to exam scala ide and it should work even without the update. In fact eclipse recognizes specs2 as junit test with runner (delivered by specs2) so there is no need to use scala launcher. Not sure but I could recommend you as the last resort to uninstall and install again scala ide on your eclipse.

Arnaud

Jul 23, 2015, 7:28:27 AM7/23/15
to Scala IDE User, wpopie...@virtuslab.com
I have just go this error, I suppose it's the same problem?

java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.buildMethods(ClassScope.java:324)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.buildFieldsAndMethods(ClassScope.java:180)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.ClassScope.buildFieldsAndMethods(ClassScope.java:191)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.CompilationUnitScope.buildFieldsAndMethods(CompilationUnitScope.java:84)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.completeTypeBindings(LookupEnvironment.java:295)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyResolver.accept(HierarchyResolver.java:166)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.LookupEnvironment.askForType(LookupEnvironment.java:178)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.PackageBinding.getTypeOrPackage(PackageBinding.java:201)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.CompilationUnitScope.findImport(CompilationUnitScope.java:468)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.CompilationUnitScope.findSingleImport(CompilationUnitScope.java:522)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.CompilationUnitScope.faultInImports(CompilationUnitScope.java:399)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.lookup.CompilationUnitScope.faultInTypes(CompilationUnitScope.java:447)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyResolver.resolve(HierarchyResolver.java:825)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyResolver.resolve_aroundBody2(HierarchyResolver.java:628)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyResolver$AjcClosure3.run(HierarchyResolver.java:1)
at scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.cfprovider.ClassFileProviderAspect.ajc$around$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_cfprovider_ClassFileProviderAspect$8$2bb6fd97proceed(ClassFileProviderAspect.aj:228)
at scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.cfprovider.ClassFileProviderAspect.ajc$around$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_cfprovider_ClassFileProviderAspect$8$2bb6fd97(ClassFileProviderAspect.aj:238)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyResolver.resolve(HierarchyResolver.java:594)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.HierarchyBuilder.buildSupertypes(HierarchyBuilder.java:116)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.IndexBasedHierarchyBuilder.build(IndexBasedHierarchyBuilder.java:136)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.TypeHierarchy.compute(TypeHierarchy.java:301)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.hierarchy.TypeHierarchy.refresh(TypeHierarchy.java:1268)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CreateTypeHierarchyOperation.executeOperation(CreateTypeHierarchyOperation.java:90)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.run(JavaModelOperation.java:729)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelOperation.runOperation(JavaModelOperation.java:789)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.SourceType.newSupertypeHierarchy(SourceType.java:744)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.SourceType.newSupertypeHierarchy(SourceType.java:696)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JavaLaunchableTester.hasSuperclass_aroundBody2(JavaLaunchableTester.java:467)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JavaLaunchableTester$AjcClosure3.run(JavaLaunchableTester.java:1)
at scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.launching.JavaLaunchableTesterAspect.ajc$around$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_launching_JavaLaunchableTesterAspect$2$67ef7b35proceed(JavaLaunchableTesterAspect.aj:30)
at scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.launching.JavaLaunchableTesterAspect.ajc$around$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_launching_JavaLaunchableTesterAspect$2$67ef7b35(JavaLaunchableTesterAspect.aj:34)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JavaLaunchableTester.hasSuperclass(JavaLaunchableTester.java:465)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JavaLaunchableTester.test(JavaLaunchableTester.java:610)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.Property.test(Property.java:58)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.TestExpression.evaluate(TestExpression.java:99)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateOr(CompositeExpression.java:68)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.OrExpression.evaluate(OrExpression.java:21)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateAnd(CompositeExpression.java:53)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.AndExpression.evaluate(AndExpression.java:29)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateAnd(CompositeExpression.java:53)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.IterateExpression.evaluate(IterateExpression.java:150)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateAnd(CompositeExpression.java:53)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.WithExpression.evaluate(WithExpression.java:72)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateAnd(CompositeExpression.java:53)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.EnablementExpression.evaluate(EnablementExpression.java:53)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchShortcutExtension.evalEnablementExpression(LaunchShortcutExtension.java:281)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.contextlaunching.LaunchingResourceManager.getShortcutsForSelection(LaunchingResourceManager.java:455)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.contextlaunching.LaunchingResourceManager.computeLabels(LaunchingResourceManager.java:240)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.contextlaunching.LaunchingResourceManager$1$1.run(LaunchingResourceManager.java:142)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jul 23, 2015, 8:02:08 AM7/23/15
to Scala IDE User
Looks like you tried to evaluate expression in breakpoint?

Arnaud

Jul 23, 2015, 8:11:46 AM7/23/15
to Scala IDE User, wpopie...@virtuslab.com
I don't remember any specific action. Maybe I moved the mouse pointer over the Launch icon.
The eclipse log says:
   "Unexpected runtime error while computing a text hover"

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jul 23, 2015, 8:25:38 AM7/23/15
to Scala IDE User
If you could create minimal of problem or step to recreate I'll be grateful

Arnaud

Jul 23, 2015, 8:43:07 AM7/23/15
to Scala IDE User, wpopie...@virtuslab.com
ok, but it's not easy.
It looks random, it doesn't occur very often (one or two times per day maybe).

iulian dragos

Jul 23, 2015, 10:15:24 AM7/23/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com, wpopie...@virtuslab.com
What version of Eclipse are you using? As I said before, this code does NOT go on the right path, it should call into Scala IDE code and it doesn't. It might be that some AspectJ code is missing a code path, and that might be due to a different Eclipse version...

Niels Boldt

Jul 24, 2015, 4:50:16 AM7/24/15
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Just to be sure. Did you removed previous configuration of this test from 'Debug configuration'? I mean when you run a test it creates its configuration so it needs to be removed if exists.

I removed all my configurations before testing. But, there are some odd observations.

It does not fails for all of my tests.  For some test it works and eclipse projects it works. I have only seen the error in a project related to the play framework. I'm not sure that it is related to a specific eclipse version. It suddenly stopped working in eclipse 4.0, I have no clue what happened and then I got the error again in 4.1

Thanks
Niels

Arnaud

Jul 24, 2015, 7:23:01 AM7/24/15