:t doesn't work in the REPL

boris....@gmail.com

May 17, 2016, 1:55:03 AM5/17/16
to Scala IDE User
Typing :t to show the type doesn't work in the REPL. I use v 4.4.1. Is this a bug or do I need to configure something?

val x = 1

 x: Int = 1

 :t x

 <console>:1: error: illegal start of definition
:t x
^

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

May 17, 2016, 3:26:14 AM5/17/16
to Scala IDE User
Bad luck Boris, it works for me, if you could add a log (Scala -> Open the Log) I appreciate that.

Regards,
Wieslaw

boris....@gmail.com

May 17, 2016, 5:46:16 AM5/17/16
to Scala IDE User

2016-05-17 11:42:50,701 ERROR [Worker-19] - System.err - [org.eclipse.jdt.launching] error can't determine modifiers of missing type org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.wizards.imports.PluginImportHelper
when weaving type org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JREContainerInitializer
when weaving classes
when weaving
 [Xlint:cantFindType]

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

May 18, 2016, 4:08:29 AM5/18/16
to Scala IDE User
Sorry for delay but I'm completely clueless. The PDE dependency is bundled into scala ide too. If you could check that you accepted all bundles from scala-ide? Eclipse PDE should be in version 3.11.2 but I have to verify it

Simon Schäfer

May 18, 2016, 5:38:56 AM5/18/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com

On 05/18/2016 10:08 AM, wpopie...@virtuslab.com wrote:
Sorry for delay but I'm completely clueless. The PDE dependency is bundled into scala ide too. If you could check that you accepted all bundles from scala-ide? Eclipse PDE should be in version 3.11.2 but I have to verify it
I don't think the showed error has something to do with the REPL issue. I'm not even sure if this error is important at all because the weaving stuff always prints to stderr, even if it is not an error.

Beside from that PDE is not bundled with the Scala IDE SDK, it needs to be installed separately.

W dniu wtorek, 17 maja 2016 11:46:16 UTC+2 użytkownik boris....@gmail.com napisał:

2016-05-17 11:42:50,701 ERROR [Worker-19] - System.err - [org.eclipse.jdt.launching] error can't determine modifiers of missing type org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.wizards.imports.PluginImportHelper
when weaving type org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.JREContainerInitializer
when weaving classes
when weaving
 [Xlint:cantFindType]

boris....@gmail.com

May 18, 2016, 7:01:41 AM5/18/16
to Scala IDE User

This is what I have:
As there are no detailed installation instructions on http://scala-ide.org/download/current.html, I selected what I felt was needed. I didn't select everything.

boris....@gmail.com

May 23, 2016, 7:34:17 AM5/23/16
to Scala IDE User
According to the website, PDE provides tools to create, develop, test, debug, build and deploy Eclipse plug-ins, fragments, features, update sites and RCP products.Is this needed to properly use the Scala IDE? Why do I get an error referring to pde? I don't have PDE installed.

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

May 24, 2016, 2:47:00 AM5/24/16
to Scala IDE User
Sorry Boris for late response, actually with Scala IDE you gets also some pde bundle and I was just curious if you have installed same one earlier. But as Simon noticed this should rather have no impact on the way how console is working. Maybe you could try with clean installation? Anyway I will send you version of pde.

W.

boris....@gmail.com

May 24, 2016, 3:59:16 AM5/24/16
to Scala IDE User
There are a lot of packages than I can select: JDT Weaving, Play 2 support, sbt, Scala 2.11, Scala IDE, Scala Search, Scala Worksheet, Scala Test, and corresponding sources. Is it ok if I just select Scala IDE for Eclipse? PDE isn't offered.

boris....@gmail.com

May 25, 2016, 9:18:10 AM5/25/16
to Scala IDE User
Same problem after re-installation. I've selected Scala IDE 4.4.1 in the dialog.

2016-05-25 15:13:41,748 ERROR [main] - System.err - [org.eclipse.jdt.launching] error can't determine modifiers of missing type org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.wizards.imports.PluginImportHelper
when weaving type org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime

when weaving classes
when weaving
 [Xlint:cantFindType]
2016-05-25 15:13:41,837 ERROR [main] - System.err - [org.eclipse.debug.core] error can't determine modifiers of missing type org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.wizards.imports.PluginImportHelper
when weaving type org.eclipse.debug.core.ILaunchesListener

when weaving classes
when weaving
 [Xlint:cantFindType]
2016-05-25 15:14:21,941 ERROR [main] - System.err - [org.eclipse.jdt.debug] error can't determine modifiers of missing type org.eclipse.pde.internal.ui.wizards.imports.PluginImportHelper
when weaving type org.eclipse.jdt.debug.core.IJavaLineBreakpoint

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

May 30, 2016, 3:03:59 AM5/30/16
to Scala IDE User
Sorry for delay but I was off last few days. I look at this today. Would be fine to have clean logs, but as Simon suggested it should not impact rather a scala console.

Wieslaw

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jun 1, 2016, 8:29:21 AM6/1/16
to Scala IDE User
I checked PDE dependencies and scala ide depends on 3 PDE plugins: Core, Launching Support and Build Support. I'm not sure about runtime dependencies but generally I would advice to use Eclipse Committers as a base for scala IDE .

boris....@gmail.com

Jun 1, 2016, 1:20:52 PM6/1/16
to Scala IDE User
I also need the Scala IDE in an environment where I can't just change the default Eclipse (Eclipse Java) installation. Also, I haven't found a way to install PDE Core, Launching Support and Build Support into my existing Eclipse installation. I suggest to include the required PDE plugins in further versions of the Scala IDE.

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Jun 1, 2016, 4:22:48 PM6/1/16
to Scala IDE User

oh c'mon Boris :) , when you choose `Help -> Install New Software` in top most dropdown you should find such entry: `Mars - http://download.eclipse.org/releases/mars`. Choose it and in `General Purpose Tools` try to find `Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment`. Remember to uncheck `Hide items that are already installed`

iulian dragos

Jun 3, 2016, 8:51:28 PM6/3/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
I don't think one needs to add the PDE in order to use Scala IDE. For instance, the full Eclipse downloads don't contain it and they work just fine.

Not sure why `:t` doesn't work for you, though.

iulian

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

hol...@informatik.htw-dresden.de

Jun 6, 2016, 6:57:35 AM6/6/16
to Scala IDE User
I've installed PDE 3.11 and the problem persists.