Constant hangs with nightly, I think it's http://www.assembla.com/spaces/scala-ide/tickets/1000925-get-stack-overflow-in-the-ide-with-2-1-0-nightly--scala-tools-nsc-typechecker-typers$typer-adapt(---

James Moore

Mar 5, 2012, 2:38:09 PM3/5/12
to scala-ide-user
I've got a source file that's almost impossible to edit with the
nightly builds of 2.10; seems like almost any change results in a
stack overflow (and the death of Eclipse) like I reported in
http://www.assembla.com/spaces/scala-ide/tickets/1000925-get-stack-overflow-in-the-ide-with-2-1-0-nightly--scala-tools-nsc-typechecker-typers$typer-adapt(---

Anyone else seeing this, or am I just doing something really weird?

--
James Moore
ja...@restphone.com

iulian dragos

Mar 5, 2012, 3:27:39 PM3/5/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Try today's nightly, there was a regression in trunk that should be fixed now.
--
« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

James Moore

Mar 5, 2012, 6:15:02 PM3/5/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM, iulian dragos <jagu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try today's nightly, there was a regression in trunk that should be fixed
> now.

I'm assuming you mean the nightly that will arrive in ~ 12 hours, not
the one that's available right now? (The one available now has the
problem.)

I updated and built from source and still see the problem.

--
James Moore
ja...@restphone.com

iulian dragos

Mar 6, 2012, 2:57:42 AM3/6/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:15 AM, James Moore <jamest...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM, iulian dragos <jagu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Try today's nightly, there was a regression in trunk that should be fixed
> now.

I'm assuming you mean the nightly that will arrive in ~ 12 hours, not
the one that's available right now?  (The one available now has the
problem.)

There have been multiple regressions lately in Scala trunk (the joys of using snapshot versions :)). Some of them were fixed, but not this one. Last night I had a chat with Hubert who could finally reproduce it on the command line, so I am hoping the next nightly has it. This was one similar bug:

(the nightly failed for several nights on the Scala side, so even when the bug is fixed, it may not reach the IDE on the next day).

I couldn't find the ticket for your problem, but this was the reduced sample which I believe fails in the same way:

While it is sometimes difficult, I am very glad people use the nightlies for Scala trunk. It's a much bigger effort than it seems to keep it running, and it gives us (and the Scala team) early feedback (and reports on regressions). Thanks!

cheers,
iulian

I updated and built from source and still see the problem.

--
James Moore
ja...@restphone.com
http://jamesmoorecode.blogspot.com/

James Moore

Mar 6, 2012, 10:51:16 AM3/6/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM, iulian dragos <jagu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> While it is sometimes difficult, I am very glad people use the nightlies for
> Scala trunk. It's a much bigger effort than it seems to keep it running, and
> it gives us (and the Scala team) early feedback (and reports on
> regressions). Thanks!

Definitely sympathise - keeping nightlies stable is never simple/easy.
I switched to nightly builds because I hit some Android problems that
were solved in 2.10.

If there's going to be someone at http://nescala.org/ who could talk
about how to write tests for the IDE/editor, that might be useful for
the team. I'd rather submit a failing test than a bug.

- James

Mirco Dotta

Mar 6, 2012, 11:10:53 AM3/6/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
If there's going to be someone at http://nescala.org/ who could talk
about how to write tests for the IDE/editor, that might be useful for
the team.  I'd rather submit a failing test than a bug.

Hi James,

That would be so useful!

I don't think there is going to be a session on this at nescala, but we do have guides
that explain how to write tests for testing both the Presentation Compiler in isolation
and the IDE. Maybe have a look at the following:

The whole testing infrastructure is in deep need of love. if you are up for the task I'd
be glad to answer question and collaborate in all the ways I can.

Cheers,
  Mirco

---------------
Mirco Dotta
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
PSE-D, 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Twitter: @mircodotta

Hubert Plociniczak

Mar 7, 2012, 10:24:39 AM3/7/12
to Scala IDE User
Fixed in trunk now and should be in tomorrow's nightly for the plugin
I guess. For reference it was #5553.

Thanks,
hubert

On Mar 6, 8:57 am, iulian dragos <jagua...@gmail.com> wrote:

James Moore

Mar 7, 2012, 12:40:04 PM3/7/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM, iulian dragos <jagu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I couldn't find the ticket for your problem, but ...

Did I put it in the right bug database? I used:

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/scala-ide/tickets/1000925-get-stack-overflow-in-the-ide-with-2-1-0-nightly--scala-tools-nsc-typechecker-typers$typer-adapt(---

James Moore

Mar 7, 2012, 12:45:08 PM3/7/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Hubert Plociniczak
<hubert.pl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fixed in trunk now and should be in tomorrow's nightly for the plugin
> I guess. For reference it was #5553.

I'm building from source and I still see the problem, but no log
messages mention #5553. The last checkin I have is:

commit 7cf22606285f598a6c5c1e2577af907aee4848ec
Merge: a111a92 d43126d
Author: Mirco Dotta <mirco...@typesafe.com>
Date: Tue Mar 6 07:20:37 2012 -0800

Merge pull request #79 from
scala-ide/issue/open-declaration-fails-from-popup-menu-1000920

Open Declaration via the context menu now works as expected.

Here's the stack trace:

!STACK 0
java.lang.StackOverflowError
at java.lang.ThreadLocal.get(ThreadLocal.java:125)
at scala.util.DynamicVariable.value(DynamicVariable.scala:45)
at scala.Console$.out(Console.scala:81)
at scala.Console$.println(Console.scala:241)
at scala.Predef$.println(Predef.scala:269)
at scala.tools.nsc.interactive.ContextTrees$class.liftedTree1$1(ContextTrees.scala:142)
at scala.tools.nsc.interactive.ContextTrees$class.addContext(ContextTrees.scala:90)
at scala.tools.nsc.interactive.Global.addContext(Global.scala:25)
at scala.tools.nsc.interactive.ContextTrees$class.addContext(ContextTrees.scala:83)
at scala.tools.nsc.interactive.Global.addContext(Global.scala:25)
at scala.tools.nsc.interactive.Global.registerContext(Global.scala:258)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Contexts$Context.make(Contexts.scala:231)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Contexts$Context.make0(Contexts.scala:255)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Contexts$Context.make(Contexts.scala:262)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Contexts$Context.make(Contexts.scala:265)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Contexts$Context.makeSilent(Contexts.scala:268)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Contexts$Context.makeImplicit(Contexts.scala:276)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Implicits$class.inferImplicit(Implicits.scala:73)
at scala.tools.nsc.Global$$anon$1.inferImplicit(Global.scala:452)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.wrapImplicit$1(Typers.scala:183)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.inferView(Typers.scala:187)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.inferView(Typers.scala:161)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer$$anon$2$$anonfun$isCoercible$1.apply$mcZ$sp(Typers.scala:94)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer$$anon$2$$anonfun$isCoercible$1.apply(Typers.scala:92)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer$$anon$2$$anonfun$isCoercible$1.apply(Typers.scala:92)
at scala.reflect.internal.Types$UndoLog.undo(Types.scala:152)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer$$anon$2.isCoercible(Typers.scala:91)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.isCompatible(Infer.scala:294)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer$$anonfun$isCompatibleArgs$1.apply(Infer.scala:297)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer$$anonfun$isCompatibleArgs$1.apply(Infer.scala:297)
at scala.collection.LinearSeqLike$class.corresponds(LinearSeqLike.scala:76)
at scala.collection.immutable.List.corresponds(List.scala:77)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.isCompatibleArgs(Infer.scala:297)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.typesCompatible$1(Infer.scala:660)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.scala$tools$nsc$typechecker$Infer$Inferencer$$isApplicable(Infer.scala:679)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.isAsSpecific(Infer.scala:754)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.isStrictlyMoreSpecific(Infer.scala:818)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer$$anonfun$inferExprAlternative$1.improves$1(Infer.scala:1370)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer$$anonfun$inferExprAlternative$1$$anonfun$43.apply(Infer.scala:1373)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer$$anonfun$inferExprAlternative$1$$anonfun$43.apply(Infer.scala:1372)
at scala.collection.LinearSeqOptimized$class.foldLeft(LinearSeqOptimized.scala:111)
at scala.collection.immutable.List.foldLeft(List.scala:77)
at scala.collection.TraversableOnce$class.$div$colon(TraversableOnce.scala:137)
at scala.collection.AbstractTraversable.$div$colon(Traversable.scala:112)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer$$anonfun$inferExprAlternative$1.apply$mcV$sp(Infer.scala:1372)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.tryTwice(Infer.scala:1528)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Infer$Inferencer.inferExprAlternative(Infer.scala:1358)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.adapt(Typers.scala:907)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.adapt(Typers.scala:908)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.adapt(Typers.scala:908)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.adapt(Typers.scala:908)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.adapt(Typers.scala:908)
at scala.tools.nsc.typechecker.Typers$Typer.adapt(Typers.scala:908)
etc

James Moore

Mar 7, 2012, 12:49:13 PM3/7/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM, James Moore <jamest...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 7:24 AM, Hubert Plociniczak
> <hubert.pl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Fixed in trunk now and should be in tomorrow's nightly for the plugin
>> I guess. For reference it was #5553.
>
> I'm building from source and I still see the problem, but no log
> messages mention #5553.  The last checkin I have is:

Ignore this for now - I'm now rereading the how-to-build stuff from
http://scala-ide.org/docs/dev/building/building.html . I suspect that
I didn't see your fix because I'm not rebuilding the compiler, only
the ide.

Mirco Dotta

Mar 7, 2012, 2:54:20 PM3/7/12
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
James, the fix is in the 2.10 (trunk) compiler, you need to wait tomorrow's IDE
nightly (which will be build using 2.10 nightly) to check if Hubert's fix works for you.

-- Mirco