Does Scala compile faster with external sbt?

hol...@informatik.htw-dresden.de

Jul 15, 2016, 7:22:22 AM7/15/16
to Scala IDE User
I have a project that contains several mostly independent packages, which contain < 10 source files each. The IDE needs about 10 s to recompile if I just change a number in a file. Will this improve if I use an external sbt to compile the project?

Simon Schaefer

Jul 15, 2016, 9:35:50 AM7/15/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Probably not. 10s is already quite a long time for such a small project. Are you doing a lot of type level programming or do your projects simply depend on each other?

---- On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 13:22:22 +0200 hol...@informatik.htw-dresden.de wrote ----

I have a project that contains several mostly independent packages, which contain < 10 source files each. The IDE needs about 10 s to recompile if I just change a number in a file. Will this improve if I use an external sbt to compile the project?

hol...@informatik.htw-dresden.de

Jul 15, 2016, 10:25:53 AM7/15/16
to Scala IDE User
No, neither.

Scott Carey

Aug 9, 2016, 7:48:10 PM8/9/16
to Scala IDE User
In my experience, SBT on the command line is always faster than the IDE, sometimes 5x faster.

A few things that help:

  Disconnect "team" (git or svn or whatever) from your project.  Somehow the team plugin drastically slows down Eclipse when Scala IDE is enabled.  I have no idea why, Its been this way for years.  Don't let it auto-detect your source control state and reconnect either.  This turns off all of the file / path annotations in the tree that show whether a file is in sync or out of sync with your scource control, etc.    (select all projects, go to "team" and "disconnect" -- then change your prefs to not auto-detect).

  Change Eclipse to only build when you ask it to (command-B on mac), not on every save / modification  (un-check `Build Automatically`).

Those were the two biggest improvements to user responsiveness and compile times for me.   On one of my projects, the second one is mandatory or else the IDE is basically unusable, with frequent 1+ minute long unresponsive pauses.

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

Aug 10, 2016, 2:26:23 AM8/10/16
to Scala IDE User
Hello
the good news is that we enable SBT server compiler in coming release :). But I cannot say if it will make compilation faster ;).

W.