Scala IDE unusable due to "updating occurrence annotations"

JCDClark

May 27, 2016, 9:52:40 AM5/27/16
to Scala IDE User
Hi.

I've recently started using Scala IDE to prototype a little project and also to learn scala.

It seemed to be working fine for most of the time but over the last couple of days, it's been completely unusable. I will work for a few minutes (the time can vary) and then my IDE will show "updating occurrence annotations" in the progress bar and my computer fan will kick off at full whack. This gradually ups the memory usage until it gets to the limit and eventually locks up the application. I have to force close the IDE before trying again but it keeps happening. I've taken to using a text editor but this is obviously not very easy as I'm trying to learn scala and various libraries!

The problem seems to centre around one file. I've created a gist for the file here: https://gist.github.com/JCDClark/b089f758743a22260346f276f76e759a

This is where I am playing around with a couple of persistence libraries, namely slick and coachdb-scala (https://github.com/beloglazov/couchdb-scala). It was fine when I was playing around with slick but the problems seem to have started when I began introducing the coachdb-scala classes. This might be a coincidence however - I'm not sure.

Because I was running a 32 bit setup at the time, I downloaded a new Java 8 64 bit JVM, the latest Scala IDE 64 bit and tried again. I also fiddled with eclipse.ini to give it much more memory. Unfortunately the problem still occurs.

Any suggestions? I do eventually get a core dump in the scala ide installation directory but no trace dump unfortunately. I'm not sure what would be useful so I will wait for people to suggest useful diagnostic/debug data.

Main details:

Win 7 x64
IBM J9 JVM 1.8.0 SR2 FP10 is the jvm configured to run ScalaIDE
eclipse.ini:
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20140415-2008.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.200.v20150204-1316
-vm
C:/Program Files/IBM/Java80/jre/bin/javaw.exe
-vmargs
-Xmx3G
-Xms200m
-XX:MaxPermSize=384m

Scal IDE version: Build id: 4.4.1-vfinal-2016-05-04T11:16:00Z-Typesafe
IDE is left pretty much as default in terms of configuration.

My current flow is to develop with scala IDE and then use activator to run the play server. I'll also attach a remote debugger via scala IDE if I need to.

Happy to provide any other information. Unfortunately, this is a bit of a blocker for me at the moment.

Many thanks,
James

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

May 30, 2016, 3:53:12 AM5/30/16
to Scala IDE User
Hello James,

you could install Svelto to your Eclipse from site:
http://download.scala-ide.org/plugins/svelto/releases/2.11.x/site

It produces threads dumps when UI thread is blocked. The place where txt files with dumps are stored can be found here: Windows -> Preferences -> Svelto / Output directory

W.

JCDClark

May 31, 2016, 4:29:27 AM5/31/16
to Scala IDE User
Okay, thanks - good to know. I will give that a shot over the next couple of days and post anything I find here.

James