eclipse.ini settings

Gavin Baumanis

May 8, 2016, 2:14:37 AM5/8/16
to Scala IDE User
Hi Everyone,

Firstly - Thanks.
Thanks to everyone involved in turning out a Scala IDE that only gets better with every release, sincerely.

I have installed the Scala IDE as a plugin to a Eclipse (Mars 2) Java EE edition.
As always seem to be a common complaint of eclipse - at time it seems to be pretty lethargic...
I have installed / am using Java JDK8 .

Can I please get someone to provide me some advice on eclipse.ini settings that I can use to give eclipse a little but of a hurry-up?
And lastly, could such a post get "pinned" and updated as people learn more?

Eg. I have the following in mine - but to be honest I am not sure if any are now no longer required as a result of Java 8
or even if they "are" a benefit....

(I simply copied from wherever I found a blog / article that claimed to be able to benefit the performance of eclipse.)

-nosplash
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
-XstartOnFirstThread
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
# 3 lines added via scalaIDE mailing list suggestions.
-Xss8m
-Xms700m
-Xmx2048m
# Found via an article; turbo-charging eclipse by mike henke - but it is quite old now.
-XX:+AggressiveHeap
-XX:+AggressiveOpts
-XX:+UseParallelOldGC
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=2
-XX:ThreadPriorityPolicy=1
-Xverify:none

Lastly, I don;t know if the amount of RAM - makes any difference to suggestions / assiatnce - but I have 16 GB RAM in my Mac.

As always - Thanks very much for any thoughts you might have
-Gavin.

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

May 9, 2016, 3:50:26 AM5/9/16
to Scala IDE User
Hello Gavin,

the only difference I see is Xmx which is set in my ini to 3G. Not sure but let me just say it but java compiler is faster than scala one. When look at progress the 'typer' is a guy who procrastinates the most. But after first build, next compilations are done incrementally so should be much less pain in a neck.

W.

Gavin Baumanis

May 13, 2016, 9:26:51 AM5/13/16
to Scala IDE User
Thanks for the reply...

Good to see that I am not totally off on a completely different path!

iulian dragos

May 14, 2016, 1:20:31 AM5/14/16
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com
The best way to track down where time is spent is to install Svelto: https://github.com/dragos/svelto

It will take thread dumps when the UI thread is blocked for more than a configurable amount of time. Those stack traces can be used by Scala IDE developers to improve the responsiveness.

iulian

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

wpopie...@virtuslab.com

May 16, 2016, 3:23:03 AM5/16/16
to Scala IDE User