dropping 2.10 builds for Lithium release (4.0)

iulian dragos

Jun 17, 2014, 9:42:51 AM6/17/14
to scala-ide-dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'd like to gauge the interest for a 2.10 build for the next major version of the IDE (4.0). We hope to release an RC1 in a couple of months, and given that Scala is already at 2.11.1 today, we're thinking about not releasing a 2.10 build. That would simplify our development, and given the size of the team, it would be very desirable (see for example the evaluate expression PR being slowed down by the 2.10 build).

Given that M2 has experimental support for multiple Scala versions in the same workspace, we think this won't impact that many people. If 2.10 support is important for you, please try it out and speak up if this is a big concern for you!

cheers,
iulian

ijuma

Jun 17, 2014, 3:47:24 PM6/17/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me.

Ismael

Daniel Chia

Jun 23, 2014, 5:08:39 PM6/23/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
My vote is to not drop support for 2.10 until support for multiple Scala versions is no longer experimental but considered "stable" or even "mostly working".

Smaller projects might be able to switch to 2.11 very quickly, but larger organizations might find it tricky to migrate their entire codebase to 2.11 at once. I briefly attempted to get our build working on using the Xsource flag, but ran into a few problems / annoyances:

1) I have to change the source level for every project (we have quite a few), as auto-detection doesn't seem to be working.
2) Even then, there were compile errors.

At that point I just gave up as the 2.10 editor worked fine for me.

I'm happy to try again sometime, but I would be rather sad to see 2.10 support removed until we know multi-version support is working well.

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:47:24 PM UTC-7, ijuma wrote:
Sounds good to me.

Ismael

iulian dragos

Jun 24, 2014, 4:19:06 AM6/24/14
to scala-ide-dev, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 11:08 PM, Daniel Chia <danst...@gmail.com> wrote:
My vote is to not drop support for 2.10 until support for multiple Scala versions is no longer experimental but considered "stable" or even "mostly working".

Smaller projects might be able to switch to 2.11 very quickly, but larger organizations might find it tricky to migrate their entire codebase to 2.11 at once. I briefly attempted to get our build working on using the Xsource flag, but ran into a few problems / annoyances:

1) I have to change the source level for every project (we have quite a few), as auto-detection doesn't seem to be working.
2) Even then, there were compile errors.

At that point I just gave up as the 2.10 editor worked fine for me.

In order to move from "experimental" to "mostly working" we need to hear from people that use it, and fix those bugs. It would be great if you could let us know about what errors you saw. BTW, did you use sbt-eclipse and the withBundledContainers = false setting?

I'm happy to try again sometime, but I would be rather sad to see 2.10 support removed until we know multi-version support is working well.

We all agree, but given the size of the team we have to be very careful with what we choose to work on. The 2.10 build costs us a lot in development time (new features, like evaluate expression, see PR 684, take way longer to integrate because of the requirement to work with both 2.10 and 2.11). The more we delay our release, the less value there is in a 2.10 build (most people will have switched by then to 2.11). Ultimately, 2.10 builds means less time for everything (including multiple version support). :-(

I work on projects that depend on 2.10 and 2.11.  I wouldn't want to
switch IDEs to work on different projects.

Clint, it seems that you are describing the multiple Scala version support as an essential feature. Did you have the chance to give it a spin?

thanks,
iulian

On Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:47:24 PM UTC-7, ijuma wrote:
Sounds good to me.

Ismael

« Je déteste la montagne, ça cache le paysage »
Alphonse Allais

virtualeyes

Jun 27, 2014, 2:55:13 AM6/27/14
to scala-i...@googlegroups.com, scala-...@googlegroups.com
+1 for prioritizing 2.11

Rich Oliver

Jul 3, 2014, 4:17:42 PM7/3/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, scala-i...@googlegroups.com
+1 for prioritising 2.11

It seems like a lot of effort has gone into making the transition to 2.11 as painless as possible at considerable cost to the speed of development of Scala. As 2.11 is the last release that will support Java 6 and 7. It strikes me that it makes sense to focus on 2.11 as a sort of long term support release. 3.03 seems perfectly serviceable for those that feel they must remain on 2.10 for the time being.