Purpose of nsc.Reporter/xsbti.Reporter

Simon Schäfer

Jun 13, 2014, 8:30:01 AM6/13/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering what the purpose of these interfaces is. They seem to
allow reporting build information from sbt/scalac back to the IDE but I
noticed that a lot of there features are unused (not clear to me if
intentionally).

For example there exists the method Reporter.comment whose meaning
doesn't open up to me. On the IDE side (in BuildReporter) it is
implemented to report task tags, which does not work because the code
gets never called.

Iulian Dragos

Jun 16, 2014, 6:59:26 AM6/16/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

> On 13.06.2014, at 14:30, Simon Schäfer <ma...@antoras.de> wrote:
>
> I'm wondering what the purpose of these interfaces is. They seem to allow reporting build information from sbt/scalac back to the IDE but I noticed that a lot of there features are unused (not clear to me if intentionally).

That's correct, that's the way to get error reporting from the compiler/Sbt. I think the Sbt interface might be not doing much right now, but we should probably change that and at least report errors.

> For example there exists the method Reporter.comment whose meaning doesn't open up to me. On the IDE side (in BuildReporter) it is implemented to report task tags, which does not work because the code gets never called.

That's a regression in 2.11 (the code used to be called). However, we might want to rewrite that feature without relying on the compiler itself. We could get there by simply instantiating the scalac scanner and looking at comment tokens.

Cheers,
Iulian

Som Snytt

Jun 16, 2014, 11:17:59 AM6/16/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, Adriaan's current refactor of Reporter says that Reporter.comment will disappear in the future interface.

The current comment method has a comment noting the IDE uses it.

Adriaan Moors

Jun 16, 2014, 12:04:09 PM6/16/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com