newbie experiences

Lasse L

Feb 10, 2011, 3:28:38 PM2/10/11
to Scala IDE Dev
Hi,

I have been trying to get the wip_exp_backport branch up and running
in helios.
I downloaded the branch it using EGit, built it from a shell using
build-ide-local-2.8.1.final.sh and imported the core project into my
workspace.

However currently I am getting a compile error in the core project in
ScalaStructureSelectEnclosingAction
It seems like it depends on some newer version of scalariform than the
0.0.9 I have in my project.

Being a bit of a newbie to both eclipse and maven, I am feeling a
little stumped. I can't figure out how to upgrade scalariform in the
project path.
I reverted the file to an earlier version, and by that I got the
project to compile.

I then started the plugin and made a demo project with a Scala class
in it.
However as soon as the editor tries to open the file I get the
following exception:

java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CompilationUnit cannot be cast to
scala.tools.eclipse.javaelements.ScalaCompilationUnit
at
scala.tools.eclipse.ScalaSourceFileEditor.createPartControl(ScalaSourceFileEditor.scala:
142)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:
670)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:
465)
at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:
595)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:313)

Am I even on the same planet as you guys or have I gone totally into
the woods?
I'd love to try my hand in squashing a few bugs, so we can get a
stable IDE for Scala, but the bar for entry seems a bit high right
now. Is this as stable as it gets?

Any help and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

/Lasse

David Bernard

Feb 10, 2011, 3:46:24 PM2/10/11
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I suppose you follow building instruction provide at
https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/scala-ide/wip_exp_backport.

I don't know if I use the best pratice, but I'll try to help you with
my way to do.

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 21:28, Lasse L <lasse.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get the wip_exp_backport branch up and running
> in helios.
> I downloaded the branch it using EGit, built it from a shell using
> build-ide-local-2.8.1.final.sh and imported the core project into my
> workspace.

I must admit that I didn't use egit (only git from command line with
setup define at https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/scala-ide/Guide)

> However currently I am getting a compile error in the core project in
> ScalaStructureSelectEnclosingAction
> It seems like it depends on some newer version of scalariform than the
> 0.0.9 I have in my project.

you have this error because compilation of the plugin is done with the
plugin installed in your eclipse (instead of using an external target
platform (we configure maven to generate it at build time and only for
the build session)).
So install wip_exp_backport into your eclipse should fix. (I use a
dedicated installation)

> Being a bit of a newbie to both eclipse and maven, I am feeling a
> little stumped. I can't figure out how to upgrade scalariform in the
> project path.

see above
quicker : update you eclipse install of scala-ide to use the last
successfully build or the last available on update-site of
scala-ide.org
cleaner : create a target platform.

> I reverted the file to an earlier version, and by that I got the
> project to compile.
>
> I then started the plugin and made a demo project with a Scala class
> in it.
> However as soon as the editor tries to open the file I get the
> following exception:
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.CompilationUnit cannot be cast to
> scala.tools.eclipse.javaelements.ScalaCompilationUnit
>        at
> scala.tools.eclipse.ScalaSourceFileEditor.createPartControl(ScalaSourceFileEditor.scala:
> 142)
>        at
> org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:
> 670)
>        at
> org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:
> 465)
>        at
> org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:
> 595)
>        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:313)

more frequent cause of this issue :
* JDT not enabled
* scala-ide plugin failed to start (see log on parent eclipse)
* scala-ide build failed

> Am I even on the same planet as you guys or have I gone totally into
> the woods?

same planet

> I'd love to try my hand in squashing a few bugs, so we can get a
> stable IDE for Scala, but the bar for entry seems a bit high right
> now. Is this as stable as it gets?

what do you mean by stable ?
* immutable .... no wip_exp_backport is updated once a week at least
* mature ......... no it's a wip
* usable ......... I hope, I work into this direction.

> Any help and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Bug fix, contributions,... are welcome. So thanks for your time and to
improve (by code, questions,...).

> /Lasse

/davidB

Lasse L

Feb 10, 2011, 3:58:05 PM2/10/11
to Scala IDE Dev
Thank you for the prompt reply. I thought I did everything you
describe, but I must have missed something along the way.
I'll give it another try from scratch.

/Lasse