Scala-IDE with locally built refactoring library

Matthias Langer

Jan 6, 2015, 2:21:34 PM1/6/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to know how you are running Scala-IDE against a locally built refactoring library? Is it enough to just install org.scala-refactoring.library from the local update site, or is it necessary to get rid of the version that originally came with the IDE?

Thanks,
Matthias

Simon Schäfer

Jan 6, 2015, 3:05:39 PM1/6/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

On 01/06/2015 08:21 PM, Matthias Langer wrote:
Hello everybody,

I just wanted to know how you are running Scala-IDE against a locally built refactoring library? Is it enough to just install org.scala-refactoring.library from the local update site, or is it necessary to get rid of the version that originally came with the IDE?
I never tried to install a local scala-refactoring in my IDE, I don't know if that works (I guess it only works when the version is exactly the same as the one that is shipped with the IDE, which is difficult to achieve because the build includes the commit hash in the version string). I prefer to run all the plugins I want directly inside of Eclipse, it doesn't get easier than that. You can also deploy scala-refactoring locally. After doing that the Scala IDE build should pick it up, but that is also cumbersome to do.

Thanks,
Matthias

Mirko Stocker

Jan 7, 2015, 2:36:51 AM1/7/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthias

> I just wanted to know how you are running Scala-IDE against a locally built
> refactoring library? Is it enough to just install
> org.scala-refactoring.library from the local update site, or is it
> necessary to get rid of the version that originally came with the IDE?

As long as it has a more recent version number, this should work. But as Simon
said, it's easier to just launch a new Eclipse instance from your workspace,
this way you can also easily use the debugger.

Cheers

Mirko

--
Mirko Stocker | m...@misto.ch
Work: http://ifs.hsr.ch | http://infoq.com

Matthias Langer

Jan 9, 2015, 3:07:42 AM1/9/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

As long as it has a more recent version number, this should work. But as Simon
said, it's easier to just launch a new Eclipse instance from your workspace,
this way you can also easily use the debugger.

OK, so you mean that just adding the refactoring library as Eclipse project and then starting the IDE from within eclipse as outlined (here)[http://scala-ide.org/docs/dev/setup/setup.html#run-the-scala-ide-within-eclipse] is the way to go?

Thanks,
Matthias

Mirko Stocker

Jan 9, 2015, 3:50:59 AM1/9/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 09 January 2015 00:07:42 Matthias Langer wrote:
> OK, so you mean that just adding the refactoring library as Eclipse project
> and then starting the IDE from within eclipse as outlined
> (here)[http://scala-ide.org/docs/dev/setup/setup.html#run-the-scala-ide-wit
> hin-eclipse] is the way to go?

Yes exactly, that's the easiest way, also the debugger is very very helpful in
exploring the AST and to get an idea what's happening.