Introduction

Pankaj Gupta

Sep 21, 2012, 12:52:10 PM9/21/12
to scala-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Guyz,

It was great to meet all of you yesterday. I'm looking forward to having fun learning functional programming with Scala with all of you. My linked in profile says a lot about my professional background http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=105535552&trk=tab_pro, I'll be very happy to connect to you guyz. In my current role I am working in the Data team at BrightRoll where we are just getting started building a new data pipeline using Hadoop and Mongo, and yes using scala.

Cheers,
Pankaj

Nagappan Alagappan

Sep 21, 2012, 1:01:39 PM9/21/12
to scala-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pankaj and all others,

I'm excited to meet you all ! Thanks coming to VMware. You guys have set the bar high, let me try to catch it.

About me: I work on GUI test automation (Desktop apps and mobile apps) in VMware. Interested on Scala, since I heard the announcement of Scala use by Twitter.

Thanks
Nagappan

Linux Desktop (GUI Application) Testing Project - http://ldtp.freedesktop.org
Cobra - Windows GUI Automation tool - https://github.com/ldtp/cobra
http://nagappanal.blogspot.com

Mohammad Almalkawi

Sep 21, 2012, 1:02:58 PM9/21/12
to scala-c...@googlegroups.com
It was great meeting you all yesterday. Sorry I had to leave early due to a conflicting appointment.

Here is my LinkedIn profile for my background (out of date) and if you like to connect: www.linkedin.com/in/mohammadalmalkawi

Currently I am doing Android development at Twitter in San Francisco and learning Scala and Pig on the side. I will see you next Thursday at 7pm.

Mohammad
@moh

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Pankaj Gupta <pan...@brightroll.com> wrote:

Sharmin Choksey

Sep 21, 2012, 2:30:04 PM9/21/12
to scala-c...@googlegroups.com
All, likewise.

 Took a final crack at Ex.2 of assignment 1 last night - got all test cases to work.  It is a "functional" and non-immutable solution......although I'm not fully convinced I implemented the ")(" case elegantly.

Mohammed, thanks for links to Intelli J DEA, will definitely check it out.

Nagappan, thanks much for hosting the location.

=Sharmin

Robert Kohlenberger

Sep 21, 2012, 5:12:31 PM9/21/12
to scala-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Great to be in this talented group!  Yes thanks Nagappan for organizing this!  I live in Scotts Valley so it's a good drive, but also a good excuse to go "over the hill" and visit my old stomping grounds.

A review of this course just appeared in the Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/info/developer-blog/2012/sep/21/funtional-programming-principles-scala-first-impressions?newsfeed=true).  Near the end it gives some tips for doing the course with IntelliJ.  Hard to believe there are 40,000+ course subscribers!

My LinkedIn profile is here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertkohlenberger

Currently I'm taking a "sabbatical" to work on a small project "NumVal" that employs Scala' implicits to implement dynamic numeric types, similar to Ruby and Python.  It's in late testing, so I hope to upload to GitHub in a couple of weeks.  The motivation is to enable my Java data visualization library, Formulo, to accept any numeric type from any data source.  Hope to GitHub that soon as well.

Once this course is over I'll have to invite you all over for a BBQ or potluck.  I live a mile from the Mt. Hermon Redwood zipline and Roaring Camp steam train, 4 mi. from Santa Cruz.  Henry Cowell State park is at the end of my street.

Cheers!
Bob

Richard Kuo

Sep 30, 2012, 1:07:46 AM9/30/12
to scala-c...@googlegroups.com
Hi, everyone,
I finally feel a little relax to do some introduction part of work. I am working in AT&T cloud realization team. Most of my work is to help to get our data center established and help the end user to move their existing application into our clouds. I am interesting to keep my skill current, so trying to learn the new things. Most of my interests are in object modeling and process modeling.

Nice to have you guys in the study group, I learned a lot from you already. Thank you.

Richard