Student looking to contribute to ScalaNLP

Rohit Shinde

Apr 13, 2015, 8:54:24 PM4/13/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am a final year student of Computer Science from India. I study at the "Vishwakarma Institute of Technology" in Pune. I am interested in various areas under Machine Learning and Aritificial Intelligence. I have a theoretical background in both these subjects and a limited experience of some projects in these fields. I also tried to build a Chess program using AI techniques. It is in progress right now and I dedicate time to it as and when possible. I programmed a small application using backpropagation to classify one of the data sets on the UCI dataset repository. It wasn't very succesful but it gave me some exposure to neural networks. I have also been exposed to Data Mining, so I do know of other algorithms like KNN, SVM and K-Medoids and others.

I have programmed using Python, Java and C++. I am very proficient in all these three languages. I have done all my mini as well as major projects in these languages and so I have a lot of programming experience in these languages.

I came across ScalaNLP when looking for some good Machine Learning libraries written in Scala. I would really like to contribute to this library.

How can I contribute to this library?

Thank you,
Rohit Shinde

David Hall

Apr 13, 2015, 8:58:33 PM4/13/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rohit,

Thanks for your email, and so sorry about the delay! It's been a rough couple weeks or months...

It'd be great to have you contribute. Breeze is, as you probably surmised, more of a numerics (~numpy/scipy) library than a machine learning (~scikits-learn) library. But that's not to say that we don't need help (we do!), or don't want machine learning capabilities. I mostly use Breeze for machine learning and NLP, so in general that's good to have.

Before I suggest anything concrete, what's your experience with Scala? What I suggest depends pretty strongly on that.

You might also look at mllib which is a proper machine learning library.

-- David