Where is breeze.plot ?

Stéphane Laurent

May 13, 2014, 12:13:23 PM5/13/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

scala> import breeze.plot._
<console>:7: error: object plot is not a member of package breeze
       import breeze.plot._

It is missing from the github repo too.

David Hall

May 13, 2014, 12:24:19 PM5/13/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
It's been moved to a separate repository: github.com/scalanlp/breeze-viz

Its new maintainer has been very busy, so it's not been kept up to date. (At this point it's probably worth looking for someone else to help with it.)

-- David

Stéphane Laurent

May 13, 2014, 12:46:56 PM5/13/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu
Thank you. Is it possible to import it in a sbt project with a libraryDependencies in build.sbt ?

David Hall

May 13, 2014, 1:01:18 PM5/13/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I just published a 0.8-SNAPSHOT. If you want a 0.7 let me know.

Stéphane Laurent

May 13, 2014, 1:05:33 PM5/13/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu
How to import in ? I have naively tried

libraryDependencies += "org.scalanlp" % "breeze-viz" % "0.8-SNAPSHOT"

David Hall

May 13, 2014, 1:37:23 PM5/13/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

Try

libraryDependencies += "org.scalanlp" %% "breeze-viz" % "0.8-SNAPSHOT"

martin.mauch

May 17, 2014, 11:23:34 AM5/17/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu

Hi David,

could you publish a 2.11 build of breeze-vis as well? That's the last thing that keeps me from updating to Scala 2.11 :)

Thanks!
  Martin

Stéphane Laurent

May 30, 2014, 11:11:47 AM5/30/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu
same result:

[warn] module not found: org.scalanlp#breeze-viz_2.10;0.8-SNAPSHOT

martin.mauch

May 30, 2014, 1:26:50 PM5/30/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu
breeze-viz has already been bumped to 0.8. Try that version.

Stéphane Laurent

Jun 4, 2014, 3:09:58 PM6/4/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu
Right, this works : libraryDependencies += "org.scalanlp" %% "breeze-viz" % "0.8"

Thanks !

matthew Drescher

Aug 14, 2014, 5:44:30 PM8/14/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu
 getting this error:

[error] Modules were resolved with conflicting cross-version suffixes in :

[error]    org.scalanlp:breeze-macros _2.10, _2.11

[error]    org.scalanlp:breeze _2.10, _2.11

David Hall

Aug 14, 2014, 5:45:29 PM8/14/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
you're almost certainly mixing Scala versions somehow. Share your build.sbt?

-- David

Vitchyr Pong

Dec 24, 2014, 7:59:20 PM12/24/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, dl...@cs.berkeley.edu
I keep getting a warning as follows when I set the version to just "0.8":

[warn] There may be incompatibilities among your library dependencies.
[warn] Here are some of the libraries that were evicted:
[warn] * org.scalanlp:breeze_2.11:0.8 -> 0.10 (caller: org.scalanlp:breeze-natives_2.11:0.10, org.scalanlp:breeze-viz_2.11:0.8, moneymaker:moneymaker_2.11:1.0)

How can I get rid of this? If not, can I safely ignore this?

Thanks!

David Hall

Dec 24, 2014, 11:19:28 PM12/24/14
to Vitchyr Pong, scala-...@googlegroups.com
I don't about "safely", but you can try.  You can just continue to depend on breeze 0.8 if you're not using mllib or something. I'll add it to my

A new version of breeze-viz should be published. As usual for whenever someone brings up breeze-viz, I am not currently interested in maintaining it, and I'd love to have a new maintainer step up...

-- David

Vitchyr Pong

Dec 24, 2014, 11:30:04 PM12/24/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, vit...@gmail.com
Wow I'm impressed. Are there no other maintainers? I've looked around and it seems like breeze is the only scala (excluding Java) plotting library out there. Do you know what most scala programmers are using if they want to plot data? Java libraries?

David Hall

Dec 25, 2014, 12:08:54 AM12/25/14
to scala-...@googlegroups.com, Vitchyr Pong
I really don't know. I am continually surprised that there isn't something better, and part of my motivation for not wanting to maintain it is the hope that someone who actually has visualization knowhow (and time, and will) will step up. (I see you posted an issue on scalaplot, so you know about that.)

I'd even go so far as to offer to subsidize the purchase of "A Grammar of Graphics" if that's what's holding someone back.

I suppose I could bring viz back into the main repository as a subproject. I'll think about it.

-- David

Tomer Ben David

Mar 22, 2015, 2:49:12 PM3/22/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I just came across this, should I get breeze-viz from its own repository or from main scalanlp repo? is there support for scala 2.11?
thanks

David Hall

Mar 22, 2015, 2:50:09 PM3/22/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
Use the main breeze repo version. Yes, 2.11 is supported. I'll be making a release today, probably, of version 0.11.2

Tomer B

Mar 22, 2015, 3:16:14 PM3/22/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com

I manage to get it working but I had to set my dependency on artifact I'd breeze-parent instead of breeze in order to have it recognize breeze.plot package.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Scala Breeze" group.

David Hall

Mar 22, 2015, 3:22:37 PM3/22/15
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
It's published in a separate jar, still called breeze-viz. The source code is in the same repository.