Breeze v0.13

David Hall

Jan 8, 2017, 11:45:04 PM1/8/17
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I guess we're on a yearly release schedule now.

I'm pleased to announce the release of Breeze 0.13. This is the first release that supports Scala 2.12. 2.11 and 2.10 continue to be supported.

Changes:

* Scala 2.12 support (YuIzawa)
* Elementwise operators have been changed to, e.g., +:+ from :+. Old-style operators are deprecated. This is to fix common operator precedence bugs. (Including a few in Breeze itself.) (Daniel Darabos)
* ODE Solver Suite (Jake Timothy)
* Quasi-Monte Carlo via Halton Sequences (Stucchio)

* new functions: digitize, bincount, relu (Chris Stucchio, Carsten Schnober)
* chi^2 hypothesis test (Stucchio)
* Support for BigDecimal in DenseMatrix etc (dlwh)
* file"..." interpolator for more ergonomic file creation (Oleksii Tkachuk)
* DM.reshape can only produce views of column-major matrices (dlwh)
* Lots of various build improvements (dlwh, Fokko Driesprong, qilab, Yusuke Izawa)
* Improvements/fixes to distributions/random (Chris Stucchio, Vaishaal Shankar, Sergey Kokorin, brendon,  Paul Kernfeld, Darren Wilkinson,  Tomasz Sobieszek)

* median now works on scala.Seq (Vishal Kuo)
* Rand.withSeed to allow for repeatable rand instances (Alex Gaudio)
* added asserts for mismatched vector lengths (Alex Gaudio)
* Allow creation of empty literal DenseMatrices (Benjamin Fisher)
* bug in transposing empty DenseMatrix (Mateusz Kapturski)
* improved slicing for DenseMatrix, SliceMatrix (Michael Petnuch, dlwh)
* improved consistency about Transpose for row vectors (Michael Petnuch)
* dramatically improve dot product for Counters (dlwh)
* fix stupid bug in DiffFunction.withL2Regularization
* improved Beam interface to be more Scalactic...
* serialization fixes, SerializedForms for a variety of core classes (adpauls, dlwh)
* fixed bug in argtopk (Yanbo Liang)
* fixed bug in BroadcastedRows for DenseMatrix (torsten schmits)
* improved shuffle (Huamin Li)
* fix rsquared ( Lucas Fernandes Brunialti)
* fix doc for cosineDistance (Zak Patterson)
* perf improvement to BitVector.mapActivePairs (dlwh)
* DM slices for empty column ranges (dlwh)
* kronecker for complex numbers (dlwh)
* bloom filter OOB (dlwh)

Wei

Jul 4, 2017, 3:11:51 PM7/4/17
to Scala Breeze
Hi David,

There seems to be a newer release 0.13.1 on github. Is there any release notes for that version?

Thanks.

David Hall

Jul 9, 2017, 2:16:09 AM7/9/17
to scala-...@googlegroups.com
I guess I never put together release notes. It's mostly small things, with the exception being your(? sorry, not sure if you are weichen xu) fix for lbfgsb's line search, which was pretty broken. Otherwise, there are:
* better edge case handling for Gaussian.probabilityOf
* logit function
* misc cleanups
* perf improvement to DenseVector.tabulate
* make VectorBuilder respect initialNonZero

The main reason it was cut for was the lbfgsb fix

Wei

Jul 12, 2017, 12:11:36 PM7/12/17
to Scala Breeze
Thanks for the summary, David. I am not Weichen, but I am really happy to see all these good improvements.